What is 1QN and 2QN in Xilinx CORDIC ?

Can someone please explain to me what the 1QN and 2QN formats are as used in the input and outputs of the Xilinx CORDIC IP? Especially for the case of polar to rectangular conversion aka Vector Rotation mode. And how do I convert between them and two's complement format ?

Thank you for any insights. ML

Reply to
ML

Those are two's complement fractional notation where there is an implied radix point. Put another way, those formats are 2's complement integers with an implied power of 2 scale factor so that with the implied scale factor they represent values that have a fractional part. 1QN means there is 1 bit to the left of the radix point, and N bits to the right. 2QN means 2 bits left of the radix point and N fractional bits. Of course, you can apply any power of 2's scaling to that you want to. What this notation does for you is tells you the relative weighting of the inputs and outputs.

Reply to
Ray Andraka