Test and Measurements - Large FPGA

Hi,

Is there any body uses the Large FPGA to build test and measurements equipments. If you use it, how big is the idle FPGA for you.

thanks Narsi

Reply to
Narsi

I have. It was this big for me.

Sorry.

Reply to
Symon

We build measurement equipment, but none of the FPGAs that we use are idle. Therefore I can't answer your question exactly. However, most FPGAs that we use are between 3cm and 4cm in size.

Kolja Sulimma

Reply to
comp.arch.fpga

I am sorry, I meant IDEAL FPGA size in terms of density

Reply to
Narsi

I never know until the HDL is written and working in simulation. At that point, I can test the fit for any device I prefer.

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

I know Device programmers that used FPGAs ( smaller/older ones, on today's scales ) - these are mostly smart IO, and higher Voltage IO compliance matters.

I also know of oscilloscopes using FPGAs, - there they push things more, and need more logic, and less IO. Generic design is ADC + Memory + FPGA (+ some SW..)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

You may want to check out Catalyst enterprises

They make a number of bus analyzers using FPGA's. In fact they tout the uploadable FPGA as a feature in the datasheets. In my experience the long start-up times due to configuration over a slow interface can be a drag. On the other hand I'm guessing their newer products have faster programming interfaces than the old serial stull I used in the past.

Cheers, Gabor

Reply to
Gabor