Survey: FPGA PCB layout

harder

Well, what else can they do? And I guess OSHA is going to be breathing down their backs all the time. I like to see things so I prefer QFP. of course you won't get 1700 pins that way but usually that's not realy needed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Yes, and I've done my fair share as well. But: It was either to a hard substrate that does not flex such as alumina or to a very flexible material such as Kapton. FR4 ain't my kind of turf with BGA. Can be ok for gear that doesn't get stressed much but not in my field of work.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

clean?

if

start

harder

And

Your "usually" and mine are quite different. ;-)

--
Keith
Reply to

message

They've been flip-chip mounting on organic substrates for at least a decade, too.

--
Keith
Reply to

Pretty much honest responses. Almost all of good value.

Mark hinted and Joerg mentioned one of the foremost subjects, floorplanning. This will impact everything you do. From the original schematic drawing to the FPGA VHDL/Verilog coding and optimizing to PWB layout , documentation, and testing. Each of these activities requires floorplanning to get good results. To achieve the best PWD layout results make several different versions for your first few boards and route them all to completion. It will make huge improvements in your understanding.

Reply to
JosephKK

when

OK lets get to that.

Not particularly uncommon until you get to low end hourly. Standard for engineers since WWII.

Yes there has been abuses.

When i worked for private as an engineer it was $5 for office visit, $20 for lab, $5 per prescription. Today with State of CA it is $10 or more for office visit, $0 for lab, $5 to $25 per prescription. It increases in retirement. Then Medicare is supposed to kick in and relieve much of the State burden. If you are 65 or older and don't like what you have try Medicare and see how well you like that.

It has been changed to the highest paid three years average in the last ten. And it now takes ten years to become "vested", instead of five.

Now, you have been reading my stuff for some years now, do you think i am a doofus parading as an engineer? When i was hired some 15 years ago a PE could only expect about $5000 a month in State service. What was your monthly average then. What was it 5 years ago? What is it today. CA State pay rates for engineers and almost all others is a matter of public record. Try looking them up for yourself. You would do well to start with

Better still, compare them to County and City rates for the last 20 years. And finally note that for most cases the State does not give you a better paycheck based on where the job is, let alone where you live.

80 percent to 90 percent of half to two thirds of what a private engineer can make ain't all that much. You may get a lower top percentage, but it is / was based on a much better salary.
Reply to
JosephKK

up

build

in

work

So you say. While there are classes where that is easily done it is usually in the mid range hourly and low range salaried that it is reasonably possible. But how may 50+ year olds do you know that can and will work significant overtime?

Reply to
JosephKK

that

implies a

get

ends up

build

hires in

work

way.

Actually CalPERS is one exception to the slightly over broad brush. Of course over 2E11 dollars is not a toy.

Reply to
JosephKK

Actually i have found an amazing amount of them that can do just that. I expect you have heard of Steven Hawking?

Correct.

There is a trade off there. You need to limit that to the most flexible and brightest old personnel.

years

Heavily weighted by the early amounts because of compound interest. Check it out. Moreover, no matter what the contributions were there should come a point where the interest on the early contributions outweigh the current contributions. Do the arithmetic. A spreadsheet program makes this relatively painless.

Reply to
JosephKK

Finally, someone else caught on.

Reply to
JosephKK

That does sound specific to one particular tool (vendors's software).

Reply to
JosephKK

Yes, a remarkable guy. I didn't mean folks who develop Lou Gehrig's although they will also need support once it has progresed to a point. I mean people like the guy with Down syndrome we sometimes visit. He's on disability and that is really the only way for him to live.

That would be no problem.

years

I don't think we'll see the interest rates of yesteryear anytime soon. But the point is there should not be preferential treatment of public service employees on the shoulders of the taxpayer.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

offer

up

student

in

having

were

competitive

common

when

Most people I know don't.

Big time. I've seen lots of it. People who collected fat checks because of back injuries and then personally erecting retaining walls and stuff. IMHO there is an utter lack of enforcement.

Hey, didn't even Spike Helmick try to collect a fat pension "upgrade" claiming he fell off his armchair?

I must pay $65 for an office visit. Plus the first $2700 (per person!) per year out of pocket, else the premiums become unbearable. A lot of engineers I know how no health insurance at all because they can't afford it any longer.

That's good but still not fair compared to people in non-gvt jobs.

Half? $5k/mo is about what engineers in industry made 15 years ago.

But the real perks are in other jobs where the legislature has caved in to the unions. Prison guards etc. A while ago the news reported the staggering number of applications sent in. It may not be a fun job but it sure must have become a plum job.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

I know of a friend of a friend who's a prison guard, and besides the money, one nice option they have here in Oregon is that they can completely swap hours with their co-workers. This guy will take a couple months off during the summer and then work a bunch of 60 hour weeks the rest of the year for someone else who's then taking his few months off. Definitely some advantages to having a job where you're largely interchangeable with any of your co-workers and are being paid by the hour!

Of course, prison guard jobs are kind of like mining jobs... usually it's good pay and no problems, but when something does go wrong you're rather likely to end up dead...

Reply to
Joel Koltner

Yeah, after Dave posted that I checked and unfortunately Pulsonix can't do it... although it's "close enough" that I imagine adding it as a feature wouldn't be particularly difficult. I think it's a good idea -- hopefully it will show up in more tools over time.

Reply to
Joel Koltner

up

build

in

work

Plenty around here. Usually in law enforcement.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

Right. The same goes for code, especially micro controllers. Without spending a lot of time on a floor plan chances are it won't fit in or it'll become a hodge-podge of code snippets somehow stitched together. Seen a lot of that :-(

There seems to be a huge software company up north that has in part lost the art of good floorplanning ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

that

implies a

get

ends up

build

hires in

work

Overtime should never be needed in a well run company. That said, I've been averaging 60hr weeks (some 70+ and a few weeks with holidays, less) since August and have at least a few more months of work left on the pile, if I want it. There is no reason a 50s can't work overtime but there is also no reason to need, want, or expect it. BTW, I certainly wouldn't be working the overtime were I salaried.

--
Keith
Reply to

that

implies a

get

up

build

in

work

So what do you do at the end of this gig? Maybe buy Adnan Kashoggi's yacht ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Joerg

My

critical.

his

route

layout

where

many

price

likely

write a

Yes, it is specific to Altium Designer. It's their way of simplifying FPGA design and layout.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones