Spartan 3L - misleading info to potential customers

I was looking to the Spartan 3L for use in a low power design that will start up soon. Browsing through the datasheet I found however that there is no real difference between the 3 and 3L. Switching of Vccint to safe power? I assume that when you do this, you lose the configuration too. I don't understand why Xilinx tries to mislead customer with the so called 'low power' FPGA. I'm very disappointed about this approach that I will certainly not use S3 for my future product, and I really hope that other potential customers feal the same about this marketing trick for selling vaporware.

Regards,

Luc

Reply to
Luc

If you expected the 'L' to be something special, then you will be disappointed. What is different, is they are brave enough to fill out the MAX column in the 'L', but only spec typicals on the non L. As the typicals are the same, you are right - this is a fairly 'minimal sort' of devices. [So the price should be the same too ?] :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Luc,

Sorry you are disappointed.

There are two modes, one the devices are selected for low quiescent current. We have many customers who appreciate this, and are willing to pay a small premium for it. Because they asked for it, we figured out how to offer it. Very similar to speed grades, or in this case, leakage grades.

The other mode, is that the device is also tested to be able to be externally switched on and off with its supplies. It may seem like a trick to you, but it is most certainly not. All the IOs and internal logic are well behaved, and the supplies can be switched on and off without any glitching or funny behavior. We also had customers wishing to use the devices in this way.

To test and grade devices from the larger population for special applications is not free. To specify and stand behind those specifications allows a wider application of S3 without spending what it would take to make another product line.

Customer wins, we win.

Again, sorry it did not meet your needs,

Aust> I was looking to the Spartan 3L for use in a low power design that

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Austin,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I understand the rationale behind it, but the way it was announced is very misleading. One can interprete as the Spartan3L being a separate product. And yes, the trick (I'm sorry for the wording) with switching off the power supply is not an option for me.

Regards,

Luc

Reply to
Luc