Spartan-3AN

finally announced!

so now can talk about them - well still not documents on Xilinx website, but hopefully they will be available shortly

Antti

Reply to
Antti

xilinx - whats up? I clicked the spartan-3AN link from inside the html email sent to my email. in response a website opened, says redirecting to xilinx website, and... a continous clicking sound from speaker... and ... at the same time google groups refused to work, saying that my computer or network is sending requests to them. I will re-run additional virus scans (I have anti-virus software installed and active).

still, why does Xilinx send email with link to Spartan-3AN when does links do not work why are there no links to Spartan-3AN from xilinx website??

is the webmaster really again on vaccation !!??

hope the S-3AN info appears soon on Xilinx website.

Antti

This is the link that makes the clicking sound when opened in webbrowser.

Reply to
Antti

Hi Antti, Yes, seems quite broken. Someone in Xilinx did _test_ this, right ?

Lets hope that their design and verify flows for their silicon are of a considerably higher standard than their Web pages ?!

Whilst we are waiting for Xilinx to get their act together, perhaps you could give your thoughts on what's new in the 3AN series, appart from just dropping some flash into the package ?

-jg

Reply to
-jg

Cat out of the bag?

Well, sure looks like the website folks are going to have some embarrassment from this.

Yes, that link is certainly broken.

As for 3AN, I have to wait until the release to talk about it, unless you were already one of the "early adopters" and are under NDA. In that case, you already know everything.

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

ok, the info about S3AN is mostly derived from ISE 9.1

the features are pretty much the same as S-3A, eg all same devices, unfortunatly it also looks like same packages, means no neat small packages available:(

so basically take S3-A with all the nice features it has + add nonvolatile memory into the package. the memory can also be used to store user data like embedded firmware or other data.

to be very short thats all i can say. its a lot actually counting the small nice things S3-A has.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

that

!?

email from Xilinx: =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D The new Spartan=E2=84=A2-3AN FPGA platform signifies a breakthrough marriage of uncompromised SRAM FPGA and leading-edge Flash technologies. With highly advanced on-chip security features, the Spartan-3AN platform provides a cost-effective solution to help prevent reverse- engineering, cloning, and unauthorized overbuilding. Furthermore, designers can achieve superior system flexibility with up to 11Mb of integrated user Flash. Built on industry=E2=80=99s most successful cost- effective and production-proven 90nm technology, the Spartan-3AN platform provides unmatched performance, integration and cost. It is ideal for space-critical or secure applications as well as low cost embedded controllers.

Register Now! =E2=80=94 for Webcast

By attending the Introducing Spartan-3AN FPGAs =E2=80=93 Non-volatile Secure Platform for Highest System Integration Webcast you will learn how to:

Implement a low-cost security solution Lower system cost Achieve higher system flexibility Improve design margins Reduce power consumption Accelerate your time to market Spartan-3AN FPGA Advantages

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

I assume this means S-3AN ___ARE__ officially launched or whatelse should I understand from the above mailing?

was the email sent too early as accident? I assume not.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Antti,

Too early? Accident? Just don't know (yet).

Obviously the email has detailed many of the features.

But, so far, I have heard nothing from my inquiries here.

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

Does anyone have any info on the new non-volatile Spartan parts?

Reply to
self

The page redirects to itself - doh.

Reply to
nospam

must be the (ro)bots have taken control at 2100 Logic Dr. ;)

I was so happily surprised to see the Xilin official announcement in my mail (actually 2 copies of it) that I assumed it really is officially launched as of today and now.

but its still working hours at eastcoast, so maybe things to get cleared up.

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Antti,

Found out what happened: got sent out too soon (I suppose that is obvious...).

Now we have to figure out 'how' it got sent out too soon (less obvious).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Austin

Reply to
Austin Lesea

You had gotten a "sneak preview" per e-mail. Please give our guys one more day to get the website running properly. Apparently there is lots of (well-deserved) excitement... Good! Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

ROTFL actually I got 2 "sneak previews" maybe i should have sold he other one on ebay!

hehe - but YES the excitment is well-deserved !

Antti_smile

Reply to
Antti

It's about gosh darn time these FPGA's have some flash built in. I have been waiting for this for awhile now. This will certainly think about moving away from Actel devices....

I have heard the "an external PROM is not a big deal" line for too long now.

Its like telling MCU people "you don't need integrated FLASH". An external FLASH device is not a big deal. Sure, its just another external chip but it is 2007.

Reply to
Eli Hughes

The mail Antti got looks good. Maybe I can slip the Spartan 3AN into a current design if it is not too different from a regular Spartan 3.

--
Reply to nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

I think these are dual-die solutions - so they are not going to be 'instant on', like the Actel devices. ( relative load times anyone ? )

More interesting will be how wide the flash bus is. A vanilla serial device is cheapest to put in, but that's likely to be more costly than an external serial flash device. If they have added a security layer, you will be paying for that.

-jg

Reply to
-jg

consider them "as" S-3A, so look at S-3A and that what you get in S-3AN as well. only add the nonvolatile part...

Antti

Reply to
Antti

I am pleased to announce that the Spartan-3AN FPGA family is now officially out in the open. Full technical literature is now available on the Xilinx web site.

Spartan-3AN Non-Volatile FPGA Family

Spartan-3AN Technical Literature Page

-- Steve Knapp

Reply to
Steve Knapp (Xilinx Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs)

You are correct that Spartan-3AN FPGAs are not "instant on", as some devices claim to be. Spartan-3AN FPGAs configure from internal In- System Flash memory. There is enough Flash for two FPGA configuration bitstreams (a primary, and a "MultiBoot" image), plus still more room for nonvolatile application data. The Flash architecture also supports Flash memory blocks down to 264 bytes.

The FPGA configuration time depends on the FPGA device size. Assuming that power is already stable, the smallest part, the XC3S50AN, configures in about 45. ms, worst-case. The largest part, the XC3S1400AN, configures in about 310 ms, worst-case.

The In-System Flash essentially uses an internal SPI serial bus that operates up to 66 MHz. If you only use the In-System Flash for configuration, then you can completely ignore the details. However, the Flash is available to the FPGA application after configuration. The FPGA application has direct access to the Flash using a new design primitive called SPI_ACCESS. There is a separate user guide that delves into the details.

UG333: Spartan-3AN In-System Flash User Guide

--------------------------------- Steven K. Knapp Applications Manager, Xilinx Inc. General Products Division Spartan-3 Generation FPGAs

--------------------------------- The Spartan(tm)-3 Generation: The World's Lowest-Cost FPGAs.