small, free simple state machine processor suggestions?

Has anyone found or could recommend a small(ish) processor for more complex state machine tasks that is:

  1. ~1000 LUTs or so (smaller is better)
  2. available under a free license (say, GPL, LPGL, BSD)
  3. available in vhdl?

Ideally something like picoblaze would probably do what I want, except that it's not under any of the available licenses, and pacoblaze is vhdl (and potentially an IP nightmare). I've found a bunch of small processors on opencores and the like but many of them look half-finished. Any recommendations? These state machines are driving me mad!

Thanks!

...Eric

Reply to
jonas

Lattice offers the Mico8 as OpenSource, available as Verilog and VHDL sources. Haven't tested it yet, so I can't comment on it at all. Plus I don't know if it uses specific features for Lattice-parts or can be synthesized for any architecture.

Just have a look at the website:

My email address is only valid until the end of the month.
Go figure what the address is going to be after that...
Reply to
Sean Durkin

Wow, so their license actually looks very reasonable and BSD-like. I'm going to e-mail them and ask if their license allows the incorporation of their code into a GPL'd project -- a casual reading suggests yes, although IANAL.

And you're right, it could rely on lattice-specific primitives and the like. But if not, wow, it'll work great.

...Eric

Reply to
jonas

If you want a real small 16 bit processor (65 Flip Flops and about 250 gates): ftp://137.193.64.130/pub/mproz/

Don't think that 65 FF can have a license at all.

No, but shouldn't be a big problem to implement it in VHDL.

Reply to
Herbert Kleebauer

By which I meant "pacoblaze is verilog". Alas. Of course, the synthesis tools can interoperate, but the low-budget simulators (such as symphony eda) cannot.

Reply to
jonas

snipped-for-privacy@mit.edu schrieb:

there is "avalon micro sequencer" at altera website.

and there exists a statemachine compiler from russia, I translated the docs to english but then new release did come out and I havent looked at changes or updated the docs. this sequences does come with its own compiler, that generates the microcode.

Antti

Reply to
Antti