Re: board - T562.jpg

--
Then you'd probably enjoy it.
Reply to
John Fields

What the hell is wrong with you two??? Are you both just 8 years old? Not only are you annoying everyone who used to read this thread, you are pissing off all the gay engineers!!!

GROW UP!!!

BTW, I hear that you are both really gay lovers and are acting out your lover's spat in this forum. :^P

John Fields wrote:

Reply to
rickman

Why don't you tell us all about it from the gay perspective which you know so well? I'll stick to my preference for shows for heterosexuals.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Sno-o-o-o-ort! Almost lost my coffee over that one ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I have taught technicians (two year programs and 9 month programs - no, not that sort of 9 month program) professionally, and the reason they were successful (at least in part) was because I had (still have) a fire inside, or so I like to think.

My point about teaching in general is we are (whether we want to or not) teaching whoever works for us ;)

Let's make sure it's a good education :)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

[snip]
[snip SIG for non-compliant news client :-]

There can be a side benefit... I hired my best technician-class student. He ended up working for me for 30 years, changing employers every time I did, worked for Widlar for a few months in 1968 when I moved from Cupertino back to Phoenix... best technician I've ever seen, plus he acted as my secretary, cleaning up all my hand-scrawled drawings, and I still have them to this day ;-)

...Jim Thompson

You and Fields.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Please check the posts. You are clearly confused.

John

You seem to have some analog credentials. Maybe you could divert some of this thread to answer a question about switched cap voltage converters.

Where I am currently working we need to convert a wide battery voltage range to typical circuit voltages, such as 5, 3.3, etc. volts. The battery voltage varies from 7 to 17 typically. We can used inductive switchers for this, but it is in a radio and we prefer not to use these. They are also not so efficient when running at low currents, at least the ones we can buy as chips. By low I mean

Reply to
rickman

Just kill file any cartoon character you see posting on a newsgroup.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I didn't know there was any such thing as an *efficient* switched-cap regulator. Their only convenience lies in small size. They are particularly nice when there is no load current... such as the bias for an integrated electret microphone in a hearing aid chip I designed last year ;-)

However, if you're switching large currents... thus low resistance switches, driving the gate capacitance *will* be a major contributor to your losses.

Are you certain you wouldn't be better off with an inductive switcher?

What are your actual I/O requirements.

...Jim Thompson

Why can't a switched cap converter be efficient? The only losses are in the resistance of the swtich (same as an inductive switcher) and the difference in voltage between the switched output and the end circuit. I was thinking along the lines of using multiple topologies to get a good voltage match to the required output voltage at any given input voltage. 2:1, 3:1, 4:1, I even came up with a circuit to provide

2.5:1, but that is likely overkill.

Two problems with inductive switchers running from higher voltages; 1) the losses are significant when running at lower currents like < 100 mA. My current board has to run in idle at 100 mW and provide up to 2 watts in full performance mode. With a 9:1 ratio of operation, losses at 100 mW can be significant.

2) Inductors generate a *LOT* of noise and this is inside a radio! We use inductive switchers because it is a 5 watt unit. But we have to keep the well filters, isolated and they still create too much noise so we synchronize them to a common clock to put the spurs in known places.

Input ranges from 7 to 17 volts. Outputs are at 5, 3.3 and 1.8 volts. I would only expect the main switcher to generate 5 volts as the others can be made from that. It should run from a 600 kHz reference clock, but that can be divided down if needed to make the circuit work efficiently. The output current for efficient operation would range from 20 mA to 250 mA.

Is this anything like practical?

Reply to
rickman

I've completely lost the point of this now. Have you?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

HOLLY CRAP!!! THERE WAS A POINT???

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
rickman

Late at night, by candle light, "Homer J Simpson" penned this immortal opus:

Actually I was referring to YOU and Fields. Take Jim, Mike and Graham along, make it a slurp-all-you-can fest.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

Late at night, by candle light, "Homer J Simpson" penned this immortal opus:

Obviously. No.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

Then what has it to do with finding prime numbers on a microcomputer?

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Late at night, by candle light, "Homer J Simpson" penned this immortal opus:

NFI. You should know.

- YD.