OT:Shooting Ourselves in the Foot

The concept of zero is generally considered to have originated in India. Once again, Wikipedia is your friend:

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Apologies - just struck me as ironic in context ;).

Steve (also limping, and also working on five computers)

Steve at fivetrees

Bill, as much as I admire you, please come here to Slovenia and show me how we're doing worse than say Greece, Portugal, Spain or any other EU country in terms of malnutrition.

--
Siol
Rather than a heartless beep

But it wasn't well understood in a broad fashion, used instead for a few ad hoc purposes. No cohesive theory about it. I think that had to wait and the credit for it really deserves to go elsewhere.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

I was under the impression that H5N1 had been around for quite some time.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Thanks!. An old friends name whom I'd long forgotten. Just had a pleasurable hour rummaging through those slide rule websites. Used that Aristo for years but had absolutely no remorse in ditching it the moment I'd saved up enough for my first calculator. john

Reply to
John Jardine.

In article , Joerg writes

They usually are sensible about that. They look at the time and place of the degree for older engineers.

No it wouldn't. Not in the UK. There are plenty overseas universities that are recognised. Even US ones. OTOH the US is usually quite good and not recognising anything foreign.

This is sometimes a problem in the UK. The C.Eng is usually obtianed via your own institute. For SW and electronics it would be the IEE or BCS and you would know people in these. In the US I assume it would be the IEEE. They can usually provide suitable people you can talk to.

Yes. EXACTLY Qualified in your field!!!

Virtually everything. The people who asses your application and do the interview... (I forgot to mention that apart from the academic qualifications, the relevant experience and additional training there is also an interview) will be in the same field as yourself. In your case medical electronics.

In the case of a friend of mine it was a bit awkward as the top person in his field was also one of his sponsors. So he was not able to do the interview for his candidate. .

What have bridges got to do with it? Unless you are a Civil Engineer applying via the Institute of Civil Engineers.

In the UK there are enough for this to not be too much of a problem.

It scares me too but at the moment anyone can do medical stuff at the moment. However in the case where there is no degree you need to prove a lot more *relevant* experience and I thin a 10K word paper to support that is formally assessed and the three supporters and your work record signed off which as to be a LOT better than at the moment when any one can do the medical work.

If the licence became a requirement it would improve things. Just like it has in all the other professions where it is required.

the problem is that as licensing is not required most do not bother (workers or employers) Once the majority are in the system then it will improve.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

So you can't find an answer to the juvenile malnutrition statistics - you seem to be declining into a sore loser ...

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

Bill, himself, is so malnourished that he's demented ;-)

...Jim Thompson

     It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

No problem. I am starting to lose my close-up eyesight to diabetes, and have to depend on the spell checker. I have severe carpal tunnel (The VA and Shands hospital doctors tell me the surgery won't help me) so I have to type with just a couple fingers. That causes me a lot of spelling errors. I get so busy trying to make sure the spelling is correct that I sometimes forget to check the syntax.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

A few points here:

1) You can obtain a PE license in any state that adheres to the NSPE guidelines without a degree if you have 20 years experience in the field. That invalidates your concern about ABET certification, since most engineering schools in the US have had the certification for the past 20 years.

2) Passing the test is only one of the wickets you need to pass through. At least as important as the test, is your references who ascribe to know your work and attest that it is worthy of a professional.

3) Finding the PE references is a little harder as an EE, but is not impossible. There's a good chance, for example, that a mechanical engineer in your firm has his PE and can truthfully sign off as being familiar with your work. If you have outside consultants doing work (not contractors, consultants) for your company, one or more of them will likely have a P.E. As a last resort, there is nothing stopping you from joining the local chapter of NSPE and getting friendly with the members. Many would be very interested in hearing about your work. They really are a likeable lot. :-)

4) Most states in the US DO REQUIRE someone on staff with a PE license if you are offering engineering services in any form to the public. If, as you signature suggests, you are a consultant offering design services, you DO NEED to have someone with a PE license on your staff in most of the 50 states. Some states prosecute that more aggressively than others. My state took all of about 6 months to find me after I hung my shingle out. In most cases, the state has the authority to issue a cease and desist order against you if you cannot prove you have a PE on staff.

5) Having a PE license doesn't give you carte blanche to go out and do stuff outside of your area of expertise. In fact, the code of ethics specifically states that you won't sign off on stuff that is not in your area of expertise.

6) Some of the medical firms I've dealt with specifically do require a PE on a project involving medical equipment that could potentially endanger a patient. I'm not sure if it is a regulatory requirement or not, but it was a requirement from somewhere. If you are working for a medical firm, ask around. I'll bet there is a PE involved somewhere in the project. Every medical project I've been involved with has had a PE directly involved with the project.

7) PE licensing is intended to protect the public by certifying that you have demonstrated competency as an engineer in your field. You needn't have the PE to do engineering work, but if the engineering services are offered to the public, someone with a PE has to be accountable for the work.
Reply to
Ray Andraka

Thanks. I dig around at flea markets when I can get there to look for early engineering texts. I wish I still had all the ones I collected when i was in my early teens. I was reading EE textbooks at 14, and had a nice collection, but most of my collection was gone when I got home from serving in the US Army.

There is a "Friends of" the local branch of the county library system, and most donated books end up being sold in their used book store. I always miss he old electronics books, for some reason. This is the land of the retirees, and a lot of old engineering books are in the homes. Some get thrown out, while others end up in thrift stores. If they don't sell quickly they are thrown away. I'm not well enough to check with all of them, and it would probably take 60 hours a week to dig through the unsorted bookshelves to find anything.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Did you ever use those paper "Slide rules" that were made to calculate values for tuned circuits, or to design single layer coils? I still have the Electrovoice L/C calaculator, and may have the old Allied Electronics Coil calculator.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

I see a lot of fat kids, but precious few skinny ones.

I'm not aware of losing anything of value.

John

Don't argue with me - argue with

Former Yugoslavia is cleaning up after a nasty series of civil wars, so it isn't surprising that your welfare system is in worse shape than the U.S.A., but we can hope that you will be back up to the European norm - no juvenile malnutrition (bar a few vicitims of lunatic parents) - in a few more years. Romania is stll recovering from Ceausescu and we can hope that they will do as well. The Czech Republic and Hungary are a bit more puzzling. I'm worndering how much of their malnutrition is confined to the Gypsy minority.

Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to
bill.sloman

BMI of 23.5. I hope it doesn't go over 24 before I get back to the Netherlands - having dinner with old friends is very nice, but it isn't any way to get slimmer.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

0.6 moderately wasted kids per 100,000 isn't all that many, and such kids aren't all that active, so I'm not surprised that you haven't seen them.

Until you start looking for smart engineers, and find that minority groups are under-represented. Persistent under-feeding makes kids slow long before it makes them clinically wasted.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

The worst engineer I knew was an EE - PE. Never designed a damn thing. Knew how to dress, though.

But then, he "was" an EE in a field where PE mattered - building systems, plant stuff, etc. Certainly not eletronic design. What can I add to what Paul Carpenter wrote? Certain companies needs PEs as window dressing, the same way some rich heiresses need poodles.

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

With such wit and surgical analysis, what is the need for trained seals?

Reply to
Bryan Hackney

You are misreading the table. It is in percent, not in per 1e5. So 6 per thousand, according to the table.

But then you read the footnote, and see that 'moderately wasted' means:

  • Below minus two standard deviations from median weight for height of reference population

If you had a 'normal distribution' (Gaussian) of weights, then you would expect 2.2% (22 per thousand) to be below the median (which would also be the mean) by more than two standard deviations.

It doesn't mean that those 0.6% are or are not malnourished.

Elsewhere in this thread

But the table you cite in trying to bolster your argument has the US as having the SMALLEST reported percentage of wasting. (European countries tend to have no data listed.) Which is support for calling Americans lard-asses (which everyone does) but not for your contention that malnutrition is worse in the US than in most Euro countries.

--
David M. Palmer  dmpalmer@email.com (formerly @clark.net, @ematic.com)
Reply to