OT:Shooting Ourselves in the Foot

Nah, then he would have written "...but the food can be total rubber.".

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)

will

No, it's possible. He's the living proof of it ;)

Hahaha...

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove 'q' and '.invalid' when replying by email)
Reply to
Frank Bemelman

Hello Charlie,

That is the only discipline from which I know a couple of PEs. In medical there is no stamp requirement. It all goes through a rigorous risk assessment and review (ECO) process which I believe is better than having a single engineer decide. If you don't follow that process and FDA finds out as they eventually will they'd be very unhappy. The sanctions can go all the way to plant closure and that has happened to some.

When I design something without being an employee I am allowed to present, even write the whole documentation. However, I am not allowed to sign off on anything in the ECO process. Signature authority is handled in one of the standard operating procedures (SOP) and must be adhered to no matter what. It's a pretty tight system.

Either that or he has to change the company name. Usually license boards are after the really heavy hitters, people who fake it, using a bogus license number or somebody else's to get in on a public works project. That's outright fraud. Heck, people even do that in the trades where it is rather easy to obtain a license.

I believe engineering license boards should look at how the contractor boards do it instead of mounting a huge pile of obstacles. Check someone's degree (it's not rocket science), get some proof of work history from publications, tax returns and the like, then let them sit for a written test on ethics and business basics and issue the license. Or drop the whole rigamaroo and just register all the engineers with degrees. When something goes wrong it won't matter whether someone had a PE or no but then at least they'd have address and phone numbers, to find out who dunnit.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Sure, topless is very common in the summer on every beach. Something you don't see often in the US.

Sometimes, if you go a a bit up or down from the main beach to the more off-hand beaches you will see them fully naked :)

SioL

Reply to
SioL

Hello Terry,

Can't, it was done under contract and might still be in the process of being duked out.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

How do you know, have you tried? :)

SioL

Reply to
SioL

Hello Terry,

Ours is pop 15,000 but I have to say that it's slowly getting too crowded. The nice thing is that people can fly right into here, the air strip is a few minutes walking in the middle of town. You can actually legally taxy your aircraft onto quite a few streets here.

Nah, that's what the barbie is for. Going to fire it up in a couple hours for a nice big tritip steak. Plus some other goodies.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

In article , Joerg writes

Things have changed.

as I said: "However in the UK...." and you quote some foreign regs at me.

That is different to the UK system.

That is what I meant.

Fair enough.

Not really. Qualifications for a professional Electrical Engineer are not the same as for am electrician. I can design electronics such as RF transceivers and MCU systems but don't know the (legally required) Electrical wiring regs for houses.

/\/\/ chris@phaedsys.org      www.phaedsys.org \/\/\
Chris Hills

off-hand

You don't need to travel overseas, assuming you're from the US.

Head to Stinson beach, about 20 miles north of San Francisco. Start walking north for about

1/4 mile and you come to Red Rock Beach:

On a crowded day it's a little too much like a photo of Dante's Inferno for my tastes (:

Reply to
Jim Stewart

We have a couple of nude beaches here in San Francisco, but it's so cold most days that the best you see is a cute girl in a parka. There are more, warmer nude beaches up and down the coast.

On Kauai (legally still the USA!) there are some beautiful beaches with (generally) beautiful nekkid people to be seen.

John

Hello Chris,

Maybe but not in Germany. A few days ago I mentioned engineering licensure in a German forum. The response was "What's that?".

Yes, because you said that I am just making excuses without knowing the regs we are under. I happen not to live in the UK (too much rain there...). Therefore, I wanted to show you the rather huge bureaucratic hurdles they put in the way this side of the pond.

Laws, regulations, more laws. One trait of engineers is or at least should be that they know where their limits are. Not because they are told by bureaucrats what they can do but because they should have the ethics to say "no". I feel very comfortable working on mains voltage level but I know, for example, that when a gas pressure reducer went on the fritz I had to leave that to experts in that field. Ain't my turf.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

off-hand

Are they open to the public or fenced? Nowadays, with cameras on every phone, you risk ending up in a chain e-mail for the whole world to see ;)

SioL

Reply to
SioL

It isn't the rubber he'd have problems with, it would be the steel belting that would be hard to chew.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

off-hand

All open, generally the end of a public beach sort of away from the parking lot, just past yonder rock or something. The NaPali beach on Kauai, spectacularly beautiful and mostly nude, is a serious hike from the nearest road.

Yup. Soon everything public will be videoed. Keeps the cops honest.

John

Now this is almost funny.

Yeah, and now you are practicing medicine without a license,

So you don't have it. The first signs I got were both hands going numb while driving, to the point that I couldn't hold onto the steering wheel. The wrist pain came about a year later. Not everyone notices the problem right away. As far as stopping when I am in pain, I would have had to quit working when I was in my early 20s. I don't recall a day since then that I wasn't in pain, and all of your drunken ranting won't change that. I also have nerve damage in my left arm that feels like a small, but constant electrical shock. Unlike you, I didn't try to self medicate with booze and drugs. I worked as long as I could, but when I finally threw in the towel, the VA decided that I was 100% disabled about 40 days from the day I filed. Their paperwork states that I will never be able to work full time again, so I think they know about medicine, and my health problems than you do.

There you go with your twisted logic. I don't hate myself, but there are a few people trying to make that list. The only thing I do hate is the inability to work 10 to 16 hours a day like I did most of my life. I couldn't wait for the next challenge to learn new skills and have that warm feeling of doing something most other people couldn't. I used to read databooks to relax, and to find inspiration for new projects. Now I have to use the electronic versions because I have trouble reading the small print used in the printed versions.

Since you love to push that URL, here is a quote of the day for you to ponder.

Proverbs 23:9 Speak not in the ears of a fool: for he will despise the wisdom of thy words.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Recently I had a living room dimmer switch die on me (here in the UK). While waiting (10 days) for a qualified electrician, I became tired of the darkness in the living room, bought new dimmer, and fitted it. Despite 40 years of farting around with electrickery, I felt like a very naughty boy. I'd done the calcs, but I mostly work with microamps and nanoseconds.

Weirdly enough, I can see the logic. I once lived in a house that a non-techy friend had re-wired. I stayed close to the windows.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

There are alternative ways for the government to handle these issues and still provide for a safe environment.

I live in the US and I installed a 50 ampere,

240 volt subpanel in my garage by myself and I am neither a licensed electrician or engineer.

The city required me to file and get approval of a permit, which was a simple drawing showing wire types and sizes and the grounding scheme. After I did the work, an inspector came out and checked it. I had to write the city a check for about $50 for the permit and inspection. A good deal considering I would have had to pay a "professional" somewhere between $750-$1000 in labor to do the job.

Do you guys still go around and turn off all the outlets at night?

Reply to
Jim Stewart

It used to be (here in the UK) that a) *.* would do the wiring, then b) an official from the Electrickery Board would come around and sign it off, for a "nominal fee". In theory, great. In practice, said official would be unlikely to raise floorboards - some would, some just wanted to get off down the pub.

Nah. Nowadays I have kWh meters on the outlets. If I turn them off, they start over.

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

In article , Rich Grise, but drunk wrote: [....]

No we as in the part of the human race that keeps up on the news about such things.

[....]

Yes and I can also use google to look up the information needed to show why the situation today is different. I suggest you give it a try.

kensmith@rahul.net   forging knowledge
Reply to
Ken Smith

Sounds like a closed 'cosy club' to me.