OT: CPLD - SimuCAD S/W CD

Hi All.

First off - Apologies if anyone considers this not the place to post such information - but I am getting desperate.

I am self-studying the book "Advance Digital Design with the Verilog HDL" by Michael D. Ciletti. Unfortunately the original CD supplied with the book was blank. So I went back to the local book distributor and after waiting some weeks got a replacement. The replacement CD has several sector errors and refuses to load at about half way through installation. The local distributor now doesn't want to know me or about my problem, Even after I paid ~15% of my weekly wage on his product.

I would like to ask anyone who has the same CD, if they would kindly supply me with a copy PLEASE (either they can ftp it to my home server or cut the CD and mail it to me via snail mail) whatever means of getting it to me would let me get further into my studies without more holdups.

I have checked with the s/w originator -

unfortunately they no longer distribute this s/w for free so I have hit the "wall".

So, is their anyone out in web-world willing & able to assist me. I'd be most appreciative of a working replacement CD.

Much thanks.

--
Cheers Grahame. at wildpossum dot com
Reply to

Isn't there a limited warranty printed on the CD jacket pushing responsibility of a bad CD back onto the publisher? The book distributor doesn't have that responsibility.

And you *have* tried reading the CD on another machine, right?

by

supply

they

Reply to
John_H

Reply to
gallen

Sorry about that last message. It deleted it on me for some reason.

Anyway. I have the same book. I tried my CD in a couple of drives. Mine doesn't work either. But the CD is provided as-is. I would consider the CD quite unnecessary. I would suggest you try one of two things:

  1. Download Modelsim XE starter from Xilinx and use that. It's much better than Silos and much less limited.

  1. Download/build gpl cver and gtkwave. I consider this easier to get started with, but it's definitely less nice and slower than Modelsim. If the design is sufficiently large (> 10000 lines), this will be faster than Modelsim starter, but odds are if you're just now learning digital design/verilog, your designs won't pass that limit unless you're doing post P & R sims.

Good luck, Arlen

John_H wrote:

Reply to
gallen

Hi John.

I have tried it on several other machines, both Windoze & Linux. Same results. Anyone person I know who purchased the book locally has the same issue - blank CD. So it looks like not a local problem, rather a problem with the original manufacture of the CD for Prentice-Hall.

--
Cheers Grahame
(grahame at location of wildpossum dot com) Spam Deflector ;-)

I also have that book. I didn't find the CD of much use.

Install the free Xilinx webpack edition, and you're ok.

You can also dowload errata, examples, etc. from author's site:

I did also like a lot Palnitkar, "Verilog HDL", 2nd ed., Prentice Hall. Clear, concise, up to date.

Reply to
Antonio Pasini