Need recommendation on an FPGA board with a USB socket.

When testing an analog circuit, I need to transport two channels of data each of 16-bit at 40MHz from PC to FPGA. The FPGA receives the data and performs some preprocessing. I need an V2-6000 FPGA.

Does a USB 2.0 satisfy my data rate requirement?

Which evaluation board satisfy my requirement?

Reply to
Sea Squid

Simple answer is no. 16*40M = 640MBit. USB2 has 480 MBit as maximum rate and you probably would not get that consistantly due to other system factors.

PCI has the best chance in the PC environment. USB controllers etc often are on the PCI bus anyway within the PC so better to go straight to PCI.

32Bit/33MHz PCI has a theoretical 1056 MBit capacity. Again PCI and system level factors will give a maximum data rate much lower than the maximum. Faster and/or wider PCI will give you a much better chance of transferring your data.
--
John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd. - Home of Broaddown2. The Ultimate Spartan3 Development

"Sea Squid"  wrote in message
> When testing an analog circuit, I need to transport two channels of
> data each of 16-bit at 40MHz from PC to FPGA. The FPGA receives
> the data and performs some preprocessing. I need an V2-6000 FPGA.
>
> Does a USB 2.0 satisfy my data rate requirement?
>
> Which evaluation board satisfy my requirement?

Reply to
John Adair

Actually the original poster specified 2 channels of 16 bits at 40MHz so you're looking at 2*2*40 = 160MB/s = 1280Mb/s.

The *absolute* best you'll get out of PCI 32/33MHz is 100MB/s and that's under ideal conditions with nothing else hogging the PCI bus. Even at double the PCI bandwidth I'd say you're pushing things to get 160 - you'd want nothing much else happening on the bus for that (not much disk i/o - and that includes swapping) and AGP graphics.

I'm afraid you may be looking at 64/66MHz PCI or similar.

I'm wondering where your data source is? If it's *also* on the PCI bus (and I'm guessing there's a similar amount of data to be moved) then you're really stuffed unless you can setup a DMA straight from the source to the FPGA.

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark McDougall

Seems you might also consider just putting an SDRam (even 1GByte is

Reply to
JJ

Thank you JJ.

Are you able to provide me some info on the USB connected LA boxes? Most of my data are below 100KByte in text file, but I have over one thousand of them. What I need is not only to send out the data manually, but also do automation, e.g. send in a 100KB test data in a batch, which goes through my device under test.

My DUT then output 100 bytes of demodulated data which is supposed to be captured by the PC and compare with my simulated output. However I am sure I can handle this portion without difficulty.

Is there any LAs that can be easily manipulated by my C programs?

Reply to
Sea Squid

Ok I don't recall OTOH but google for brings up a no of devices, some of which have been posted (advertised) here and from $200 to $4K. I'm sure most are programmable too in C but you will have to review them yourself, and google back here in groups for same, maybe even user comments.

regards

johnjakson at usa dot com

Reply to
JJ

Thank you JJ. I have found some of them.

Reply to
Sea Squid