Microblaze PLB vs. OPB busses

Now that Microblaze has support for either PLB or OPB, what are the advantages and disadvantages of PLB? I started looking at the PLB specification, but I don't yet understand it well enough to have any feel for how it compares to OPB, or why it might be preferred.

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
Eric Smith

PLB can arbitrate and queue the next transaction address during the current transaction's dataphase. This potentially reduces the dead time between transactions.

Also PLB has separate read and write datapaths, which can operate simultaneously in some cases.

I don't know if PLB will make your microblaze go faster, but it certainly has potential to make your DMA devices go faster.

-Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cunningham