JTAG FPGA Debugging

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the group and quite a beginner in FPGA business. I have this very general question on BSDL files and JTAG - is there any possibility to include any internal signal (not connected directly to the output pin) in the scan register?

Chris

Reply to
Silver

There is a primitive you can use to get JTAG access. See for instance the BSCAN_SPARTAN3 library element. You should find similar primitives for different families. Some folks on this newsgroup have utilized those primitives for more than just ChipscopePro (Xilinx) or Identify (Synplicity)debugging.

- John_H

Reply to
John_H

Yes, there is documentation on the Xilinx site about how to do it and also many previous posts on this very newsgroup about it. Think BSCAN.

---Matthew Hicks

Reply to
Matthew Hicks

and there is VHDL source code of the BSCAN primitive as well

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Thank you all very much, that's really helpful!

Chris

Reply to
Silver

I've a question concerning BSCAN_SPARTAN3 primitive - since it adds "virtual" cell to the boundary scan register, do I have to include it somehow in the BSDL file, that describes the Boundary Scan Register of my chip?

Chris

Reply to
K.Pisaniec