ISE 8.2 - time to crash 20 minutes

Hi

Xilinx software is getting better! With 8.1 release I managed to get first fatal crash within 5 minutes after install, with 8.2 it did take 20mins already!

ok, actually its not even a crash - with WebPack 8.2 if running coregen and selecting

Clocking - Virtex 5

then the screen will start to blink wild

and a double click will then terminate the coregen.

still 20 mins to crash is an improvment compared to 5 mins.

Antti PS the hotkeys in ISE text editor now work again! finally!

Reply to
Antti Lukats

I thought webpack did not support Virtex5 ? - or is this the full foundation ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Hi Jim,

its WebPack and you are right it does not support Virtex-5, but in WebPack

8.2 Coregen the Virtex-5 clocking ip cores are visible. but selecting that item makes the coregen Crazy!

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats

On the subject of this blindspot, I did notice these releases with a wry smile :

Press release headline: "Xilinx Releases ISE WebPACK 8.2i - FPGA Industry's Only Free Fully Featured Design Suite"

Well, no, not quite fully featured, but what's a marketdriod to know...

and I get this promo by email :

Xilinx: Webcast: Design for Performance with Virtex-5 FPGAs "In this webcast you will: How Virtex-5 FPGAs achieve 30% higher performance than previous generation device Guidelines and insight to help you design for maximum performance Advanced techniques and tool settings to maximize performance"

So, it seems they DO want to sell the silicon; you just have to pay to even trial it...

Does seem like the right hand has not idea what the left hand is doing ? ;)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville