How to download bitstream into Cyclone III starter board

Hi All, I am migrating from Spartan 3e to Cyclone III. We bought only cyclone II starter board. We don't have any USB blaster download cable. I devlope the my current design. Now i want to download into FPGA using USB cable. What are the steps to follow?

regards, S Shankaran

Reply to
shivashankara

I assume that what You do have is officially called "Cyclone III Starter FPGA Kit" - right?

There is quite a good step-by-strep guide for a own design at:

You can also have a look at it's greater brother the "Nios II Embedded Evaluation Kit, Cyclone III Edition" (you can download an example design from Terasic which even includes the SDRam.

For actually downloading the bitfile there are quite a few methods, either if Your design features the "remote update" IP-Core via remote update or via serial or parallel programming pins which can be reused later (see the nioswiki from above for a detailed step-by-step-guide).

Regards,

Lorenz

Reply to
Lorenz Kolb

"We don't have any USB blaster download cable." - "I want to download into FPGA using USB cable."

Unless I'm missing something here, step one would be to "Get a USB download cable."

Reply to
LittleAlex

Well, actually if (and only if) he does have a "Cyclone III Starter FPGA Kit" (and just did not name it that way) the onboard usb-client port together with the onboard clpd have USB Blaster functionality.

Nevertheless he can buy a USB-Blaster or even build such a JTAG cable himself (at least for the serial (line printer) port there are numerous examples on the internet. Nevertheless I'd suggest using the solution one gets for free.

Regards,

Lorenz

Reply to
Lorenz Kolb