how to choose the perfect fpga support

If this is the first time you have considered an FPGA based design, you probably need to pickup a low cost development board and go through the exercise of implementing first some simple designs, then make a stab at your project requirements. Consider using training resources that are online, available in free or low cost vendor work shops, returning back to school taking some continuing education classes, or hire a consultant to help you up to speed. Your local FAE can help with this to some degree, largely depending on your product volume.

You will find a number of very useful sample designs in the application notes, which can be used as reference points in developing your own design. Pickup a development board and software, and have fun!

John

Reply to
fpga_toys

Absolutely, well said.

It is quite simply bad manners, but some people are like that on occasion, (when most of the time they aren't). Maybe they were are already having a bad day!! Or maybe they just have bad manners full stop - you can tell those types because once they have had a rush of blood and have been disrespectful to someone, they don't apologise.

But hey ho, it takes all sorts to make the world go around ;-)

I remember how an engineer spoke to me about a circuit that I had designed

- I walked up to him as he was sitting at his desk and asked him to have a look at my circuit, and I was gobsmacked, his response was "WHAT THE F*CK IS THAT!", in a vexed, raised voice, all over our office. Priceless!!!!!

He didn't apologise although the next day he did say very sheepishly that he may need to use a circuit like that in his design. The bit of electronics he was referring to was only a few gates. I added them so that a bus the board was designed to connect to would continue to work if power went down on my card - which was was desirable, although he hadn't spotted that when he first looked at my circuit (a card he was designing didn't do that, although his also had to be put onto this bus).

After that episode I basically considered him as a t*sser, but in actual fact, he just had bad social skills and a bit of an ego - a deadly combination that does seem to afflict the 'odd' technical person ;-)

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul Taylor

I suggest that you first skim the book "Digital Video Demystified" from Keith Jack

and then think through what your algorithm should be, how much memory it will need etc., and once you have a rough idea of these parameters you should come back to this group.

Best regards,

Ben

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

And I'm sure that most in the group do appreciate your 2 cents....and even the tone of your reply on most occasions as well.

Don't let it irk you then, let it go.

Then try twice as hard to not let it irk you....since you had no answer (due to the lack of an answerable question) you could have chosen to ignore the posting and let someone else field it if they so chose.

This is an unmoderated newsgroup open to all.

Depends on how much the student actually knows.

But again, as has been stated before, there is generally no excuse for 'outburts' and 'nasty responses'. If there is no question asked, then get over the urge to reply to the post and you may get over the 'irks'.

But again to reiterate what I said at the start, in general your posts to the group are usually solid, useful and not nasty.

KJ

Reply to
KJ

I feel the OP deserved it.

It is really annoying when people ask completely asinine questions that show they are completely clueless and/or lazy.

If they haven't got enough intelligence to write a sensible question, they probably don't have enough to do a practical technological project.

You end up effectively doing the project for them.

Nobody grows muscles by asking other people to do exercises for them. Nor will anybody learn anything by getting other people to think for them.

Asking ridicululously vague questions just raises more questions.

It's like phoning your doctor and asking "How can become healthy?".

Reply to
Kryten

bingo..... :) patent it... patent it.... patent it...

Regards, JK

Reply to
JK

Speaking as an FPGA little-better-than-neophyte, I find the people from Xilinx and Altera who frequent this group an incredibly valuable resource to the community, who are more than willing to answer sane questions even when they come from mostly-hobby neophytes like myself who are very unlikely to ever run a mass-produced FPGA project[*].

Rants like yours can only serve to make that resource unavailable to the community, which would be an absolutely enormous loss.

So: Peter, Austin, Subroto, Vaughn, and everyone else, thanks for your presence.

-hpa

[*] That almost changed -- at a previous employer I suddenly found myself de facto in charge of a highly sophisticated project based on EP2S180 with scheduled migration to HardCopy II for production. A bit unexpected for a systems software guy, but it was a fun experience doing something different. Unfortunately the company ran out of funding and the IP was bought out by a large computer manufacturer.
Reply to
H. Peter Anvin

And Austin and Peter have been exceptionally rude at times, lacking the basic restraint for their frustration and anger that make online experiences less than pleasing for their targets.

It's responses like yours that continue to allow them complete freedom to bully and abuse those they choose too.

That is simply wrong.

John

Reply to
fpga_toys