How to choose a relay ?

Could some electronics guru please help ? This is the first time in my career I am having to select a relay for a non-work related project, and I am not sure how to pick the current/voltage ratings for it. Any hints/suggestions would be immensely helpful.

Reply to
Daku

Application?
Reply to
John Fields

What do you need to know about it? Might hep if you told us exactly what youre doing with it.

NT

Reply to
NT

Well, you certainly aren't telling us much!!

Do you know how much current the relay has to carry? Do you know how much current it has to switch (usually these are the same -- sometimes they aren't). Do you know the voltage the relay has to withstand? Are all these quantities alternating current or direct?

Do you know what voltage you have available to power the coil? For that matter, are you thinking solid state relay when you think relay?

Answer all of the above, and see if it helps.

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature

re

And whether the load's inductive or capacitive, af or rf, and whether you're running the coil off battery and need to minimise power.

NT

Reply to
NT

re

The relay is for a power electronics board that I am working on, and obtained from :

As I did not design the board, I am not sure about the maximum current through the coil, or the available voltage across it. The design as I have inherited it, uses a regular wire coil relay, but if possible, I would definitely use a solid state relay.

Reply to
Daku

That article has schematics -- why don't you type the part number of the relay from the schematic into DigiKey, and see what pops up? Failing that, try Google.

--
Tim Wescott
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott
[...]

HTH

Reinhard

Reply to
Reinhard Zwirner

and

=A0Are

hat

tertie-inverter

You need to know the V being applied to the coil, and the V and i_max for teh contacts. On the latter you can simply go overkill, but teh former you need to know.

NT

Reply to
NT