Good hardware design code re-use strategies, reference book

I am the main hardware designer for the company I work for. I inherited a lot of old, badly written, poorly documented VHDL designs and vendor tool project files. Over the course of the time that I have worked here, I have been trying to take care to go back and document things and better organize them, to make them easier to use and reuse, along with trying to write well-documented, reusable new code.

I don't have any training as a software engineer or code "maintainer" (I'm an EE). I was wondering if there was a good resource out there (maybe a website or book on amazon) that would clue me into some good code writing and maintenance strategies that I wouldn't have learned in school. I know that there are a lot of software engineering resources available, but it would be nice if there was something more specific to hardware design (HDL Code) reuse and maintenance.

thanks

Reply to
wallge

I organize source files as vhdl-mode projects. It's free, see:

-- Mike Treseler

Reply to
Mike Treseler

Google Subversion. And if you use Windows, Google Tortoise. HTH, Syms. p.s. This chap recommends it on his blog.

Symon

Use a good version control system. (Test it before accepting it. Make sure all relevant systems can handle it)

Use one source code management system if possible.

Decide on benefit/cost on clearing up various sources. (Could start with just describing what it does in general)

Reply to
pbFJKD

John McCaskill posted on 23 Jan 2007 09:51:58 -0800:

"Take a look at the "Reuse Methodology Manual" by Keating and Bricaud."

I have read only a tiny proportion of this book. Which parts could actually teach someone something useful, if the reader does not already understand the importance of the points (e.g. I do not think that I would count "Use Functions" and "Use Loops and Arrays" from Chapter 5 as being in this category)?

Regards, Colin Paul Gloster

Reply to
Colin Paul Gloster

I nice pair with subversion is trac:

It provides a web view interface to the subversion repository with a ticket system and wiki.

The trac page itself is using trac, so you can get from it a feeling what you get. Using the "Timeline" for example will show you what commits has been done to the repository or tickets beeing created or finished.

"Browse Source" e.g. allows to browse the repository via the web interface.

Cheers,

Guenter

Reply to
Guenter