FPGA quiz 1&2, we have the answers and winners

Hi

thank you all for nice feedback and suggestion, for both posted FPGA- quiz's the accepted answers have been posted. Both WINNERs will receive a FPGA miniconsole from Xiltendo

a photo from the very first prototype can be seen here

Antti Lukats

Reply to
Antti

Antti: Please summarize the answers. The answer is hard to find in the vast amount of guessing and quoting in the vast amount of postings...

Uwe Bonnes

Even the web page is like an Antti contest! :)

Key customer questions are inside the puzzle :

** What exactly does this module do (and NOT do) ?

** Why sort of user would want one ?

** Load from CF is nifty, that just leaves Code -> CF ....

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

Jim,

give an old man an break.

the EXTEST voppla story made me pretty upset, spent several perfectly good working hours on that.

the Picolone is just a nice FPGA gadget. it reconfigure itself, and be what you Jim tell him. it will be bundled with basic boot system to select files for configuration.

I had actually no intention to release any info so soon, but as big mouth made some prize offer so i placed some info online as well, withing 12 minute limit I had for that

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Uwe you are very right

quiz1: 2 LEDs, one seems to have coupling to another, despite the lack of dependancy in FPGA between driving signals.

answer: EXTEST, signal driving LED2 was derived from the content of JTAG IR scan register, the other LED was exhibiting "wrong" behaviour due to the EXTEST instruction accidentially shifter into the TAP IR.

quiz2: Spartan3A wrong JTAG ID readback

answer: high frequency noise on VCCINT

to all who responded, I tried to be fair and to answer all direct questions without giving too much extra information. It can be that i overlooked something, I will look the replies over to see if I was too unfair to some poster.

Antti

Reply to
Antti