FPGA Memory Power

All,

A general (and possibly very naive!?) question: for data intensive routines (for example functions within image or video processing algorithms) power consumption is apparently dominated by the memory rather than than the datapath logic (or at least memory power is as important). Whilst this seems reasonable if there is off-chip memory accesses so theres considerable power lost in the decode logic, routing, possible access arbitration, etc,etc). I'm not clear why this would be the case for on-chip sram since the routing would seem to be minimal and less control logic would be necessary for tiny SRAM memory relative to off-chip SDRAM for example?. Is it because that everytime a memory location is accessed, its not just the switching in the transistors at this memory location thats consuming power, but rather a full row/column etc?

As a "hard" example lets say you have 2 single port SRAMs containing

256 8-bit words and the data path consists of adding together a value from each SRAM every clock cycle. Will power consumption in the memories dominate in such a scenario? and why?

I'd be delighted if anyone could elaborate on this or indeed point me to some decent links on the topic

thanks Daniel

Reply to
daniel.larkin

Probably it is because that on-chip memory are dual port memory, at least for Xilinx FPGA, and much more power consuming compared to single port memory.

I am not sure if the underlying processing technology is a reason as well because FPGA and SDRAM chip employ different processing technology.

Xilinx provides a tool, XPower, to estimate power consumption. Maybe it is worthy to have a try...

Wayne

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
quickwayne

Thanks for the comments. I think I phrased my inital post rather awkwardly....In this instance I'm not overly interested in the absolute value of power consumption (i.e. using XPower), but rather I'd like to understand the switching mechanisms which are causing the power consumption in the SRAM.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
daniel.larkin

There is no reason to assume that a dual-port memory uses any more power than a single-port memory (as long as the second port is not being exercised). Dynamic power is almost exclusively in the address decoding structure. Static power consumption is in all transistor cells.

I do not think that nebulous speculations belong in this newsgroup. Peter Alfke, Xilinx

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Thanks for clearing that up Peter,

For others, I found the follow> snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: