FFT core

[posted to comp.arch.fpga + comp.lang.vhdl] Hi All I've had a quote from a 3rd party to develop a floating point FFT core for us (1Mpt). Probably for a Xilinx Virtex5 SXT. Obviously I'd like to get some more quotes, but would like to know if you have any recommendations? Thanks.
Reply to
Grumps

Dillon Engineering has a fact sheet about a floating point core on their web site:

Maybe that would give you an alternative to your quote?

Cheers,

Guenter

Reply to
Guenter Dannoritzer

Thanks. I'll see what they have to say.

Reply to
Grumps

I've got a floating point FFT engine for V4 that I am porting to V5. It is the fastest floating point FFT for FPGAs available anywhere (up to

1.2 GS for the 32-2K point FFT). It can be adapted for 1M points and will still beat anything out there for speed/density. There is info on my website
regarding my IP, including a paper discussing it.
Reply to
Ray Andraka

Interesting reading. You have mail!

Reply to
Grumps

4DSP offers a floating point FFT and it seems like the only one available today with true IEEE-754 (float) arithmetic for FPGA devices. The same Commercial Off The Shelf core can be used for FFT ranging from 256 points to 1M points in Virtex-4 and Virtex-5 FPGA. No need for expensive redesign! Documentation and a bit true model are available on 4DSP's website:

Cheers Pierrick

Reply to
Pierrick

Thanks. Have you used this core before?

Reply to
Grumps

That is a bold statement and I would be interested which other available cores you compared yours to and ruled out that they do not support true IEEE-754 arithmetic?

Cheers,

Guenter

Reply to
Guenter Dannoritzer

Fair enough! The message however is related to the original thread where the user is looking for a 1M points FFT. It looks indeed as if there are some alternatives for shorter lengths FFTs (

Reply to
Pierrick

Reply to
Guenter Dannoritzer

There is a difference between what is available today for 1M points (COTS that can be shipped today) and what can be designed and be available in 6 months time. Dillon, as a consulting company you claim you can do it. Maybe you have it as a product but there are no figures showing number of slices, transform time, etc... So it is questionable. Since there is no limitation in the length of your FFT length, can you supply a 512M points FFT today?

4DSP, as a product company we have the 1M points COTS and it can ship it today. However, I can confirm we do not have a 512M points FFT today. But we can do it if given enough time:)
Reply to
Pierrick

While my core computes up to a 2048 point size, it can be used as a building block for much larger (up to 4M point in two passes) FFTs with external memory. No FPGA has sufficient internal memory to support these larger FFTs without going off-chip.

Reply to
Ray Andraka