Embedded Powerpc in xilinx

Has anyone used this embedded PowerPC in the Virtex2 Pros?

We are working on a project where we will be pushing some functions into the processor on the FPGA. Basically- it will handle all the data path exceptions.

I am interested to hear how people interfaced the data to the processor (DPRAM, DMA, registers, etc) and especially interested to hear how they (or whether they) tested everything.

What sort of OS did you run? How hard was it to get everything to work together- to debug? How is the EDK toolset? Did you take formal training?

We order a development board and will be banging on that soon.

Thanks, WP

Reply to
MS

When you get the EDK, you can start getting a better feel of the entire FPGA Processor System. Without EDK, you are pretty much handicapped in getting to use the PowerPC in Virtex2Pro.

Not only do you have to get EDK, I think one would also require a copy of the formal Xilinx training notes on Embedded development, to get started using embedded development quicker. The tools are not hard to understand or use, its just the time factor to gather "How to do things" is pretty cumbersome.

The EDK comes with a trial version of VS Works OS I think, but I am thinking of using BSD unix.

hope this helps. Cheer Anup

MS wrote:

Reply to
anupr