data memory mapping microblaze

INFO: this very same post was posted to comp.arch.embedded with no follow up over few days, that's the reason why I decided to post it here where I hope to get more feedback.

Hi everyone,

I'm dealing with an mb-lite which is clone of the microblaze architecture and I'm trying to understand how the memory mapping works.

We have memory mapped registers which are needed to exchange data between the uP and the FPGA and it should be pretty straight forward to map this memory into a segment in 'data memory', but unfortunately it seems the object-dump does not seem to show anything but a list of segments with no distinction between 'data memory' and 'instruction memory'.

IIRC on similar Harvard Architectures (like the ADSP21xx) you could write the linker script to store data and instructions.

I'm using a mb-gcc and I've looked to the ld refernce, but how can you specify that a set of registers need to go to the data memory to a specific address? Or is it implicitely assumed that .data segments would go to a 'data memory'?

Anyone with any pointer?

Al

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Reply to
alb

This is not MB-specific but applicable to gcc. You can attach "section" pragmas (in C, attributes) to variables in the source code as part of their declaration. This directs them to be placed in the named section.

"Some file formats do not support arbitrary sections so the section attribute is not available on all platforms."

I seem to remember having to do this AND effectively repeat the same information in the .ld linker script, (via the SECTIONS command)

ld_3.html#SEC17

However I am now hazy on the details, and that may have been an artefact of the rather old version of gcc I had to use on that project.

-- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Hey Al:

Sorry I missed this on c.a.e. In fact, I'm cross-posting

Am I correct that all you need to do is to read/write from a register or set thereof, which is mapped to a specific location in the processor's memory space?

In that case, there are a number of things you can do. Doing a Google search of "memory mapped registers in C" is a good start. If you find something by Michael Barr or Jack Gansle -- believe it, even if I contradict it below.

I'm going to assume that these memory-mapped registers are not part of the "real" data memory -- e.g., if the real data memory runs from 0x00000000 to 0x00007ffff, then you won't find the registers there.

The thoroughly C way to do this, without really demanding much "gnu-ness", is to declare your registers something like:

#define REGISTER_0 (*((volatile int32_t *)(0x00010000))) #define REGISTER_1 (*((volatile int32_t *)(0x00010004)))

Etc. Then you use REGISTER_0, REGISTER_1 as if they were integers.

The way I do this, which is probably wrong on many levels, is to define the register addresses directly in a linker script:

TIM2 = 0x40000000; TIM3 = 0x40000400;

(This is for an ST STM32F303)

Then in the code I have these long structure definitions that match the stackup of the registers in the pertinent register sets, and the header files end with something like:

extern volatile SGenTimer1Regs TIM2; extern volatile SGenTimer1Regs TIM3;

This automatically makes everything line up, and then in the code I can reference a timer with code like this (different timer than above, but you get the idea):

TIM4.CCER.bits.CC3E = 0; // disable CC3 TIM4.DIER.all = 0; TIM4.DIER.bits.CC2IE = 1; // wait for falling edge TIM4.SR.all = 0;

My way works happily for me, but isn't terribly standard.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Whoops -- no, I'm not cross-posting.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hi Brian,

Brian Drummond wrote: []

[]

Thanks for the pointer, I was aware about this possibility and I used to do that on an old DSP (ADSP2187L) espectially for memory mapped registers, but I clearly remember the possibility to specify PM or DM in a 'memory map' file that unfortunately I'm not able to recover anymore!.

I think I'm more concerned about the MEMORY command where I should be writing something along these lines:

MEMORY { ROM (r): ORIGIN = 0x00000000, LENGTH = whatever RAM (w): ORIGIN = 0x80000000, LENGTH = whatever }

Now, on an Harvard Architecture the two might really be starting from

0x0, but I don't seem to understand how you can specify that to the linker without incurring into a 'memory overlap' error message.

Not sure it is just an artefact, I clearly remember the need to specify memory mapped registers in the linker script (to have those symbols located to the right place) and in the source code.

Al

Reply to
alb

Hi Tim,

Tim Wescott wrote: []

I'm doing it for you, since I believe c.a.e. is more appropriate. It's kind of funny the thread picked up more momentum here than there.

Not really. Being able to map registers into a specific location is an important thing, but here the subject is a bit different.

On an Harvard Architecture data memory and program memory are simply two different worlds. They can both start at location 0x00000000, but I didn't find a way to say that to the linker without getting a 'memory/section overlap'.

I knew Ganssle from 'The Art of Embedded Systems Designs', a must, but I wasn't aware about Barr, I'll definitely have a look at his advices.

Actually I need to map the 'real memory', memory mapped registers are just the second in line, but they should follow the same 'reasoning'.

I have a data memory space and I want to place it at address 0, but it ain't working (section overlap). One thing I thought about was tricking the linker into thinking that pm and dm are in different locations but since I do not need 32bit address for my embedded system I can say

0x00000000 for pm and 0x80000000 for my dm. Say only 20bit for the dm address are used, I can safely say that my dm really starts from physical address 0. But is that really ortodox? It sounds a nasty workaround to me.

Interesting, but how do you make sure you don't incur into memory overlaps? I used to have some sort of BASEADDRESS and refer all addressing w.r.t. it:

#define REGISTER_0 (*((volatile int32_t *)(BASEADDRESS + 0x00000000))) #define REGISTER_1 (*((volatile int32_t *)(BASEADDRESS + 0x00000004)))

still there's high risk that you may fall into temptetion to change the type without readjusting the address location. An alternative might be doing something like:

#define REGISTER_0 (*((volatile int32_t *)(BASEADDRESS + 0*sizeof(int32_t)))) #define REGISTER_1 (*((volatile int32_t *)(BASEADDRESS + 1*sizeof(int32_t))))

but again you need to be rigourous, should a change in type occourr, to change both the type and the address.

Anyway, this is off topic since I'm not able to specify the dm address for .data section and others.

Al

Reply to
alb