ASIC vs FPGA

Hi all

Can someone help in understanding the main difference between ASIC and FPGA. I keep hearing both these terms and am not fully clear. Is there a website explaning this?

Thanks

Reply to
newbie

An ASIC (Application Specific Integrated Circuit) is a custom device, whereas an FPGA is a generic multipurpose device. The ASIC is cost efficient at high numbers, whereas an FPGA is cost efficient for development and for smaller numbers. Many ASIC is developped as FPGA.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

For all your basic questions you can read the book on "ASIC" by Micheal John Sebastin Smith. According to me this is the ASIC bible for beginners.

regards, CS

Reply to
Nagaraj