Altera webpack for Linux?

I noticed that the Xilinx webpack version of ISE now runs in Linux. I seem to recall in the past that the webpack was a Windows only tool, so this seems like a signficant shift.

Does anyone know if Altera has any plans to release a Quartus webpack for Linux? I still prefer Altera devices for my hobby work even though my current employer is 100% Xilinx. However, I'm looking down the barrel of Vista on my next system, and while I would prefer to migrate to Linux, I can't justify buying a license for Quartus to play at home.

I suppose the other alternative is to bite the bullet, put my Altera dev boards away, and migrate to Xilinx dev boards.

Reply to
radarman

Just curious, why do you prefer Altera devices for hobby work?

-Dave Pollum

Reply to
Dave Pollum

Xilinx own all parts of the software the constitute ISE. They can distribute without additional costs. Other vendors need external programms, where the external vendor probably charges real money for the Linux version.

Uwe Bonnes

Largely because I worked almost exclusively with Altera devices at my previous job, and still have several dev boards with Stratix & Cyclone parts on them. They are reasonably capable, and since I prefer vendor neutral VHDL anyway, it makes little difference (unless the idea I want to try out requires Xilinx specific features)

Eventually, these boards will become too obsolete, at which point I'll probably migrate to Xilinx at home as well, but I can't afford to toss out perfectly working hardware.

Reply to
radarman