Altera FPGA weirdness

FPGA.

insane

Mbits ???

...and if that magic word happens to appear before the "correct" one? It's

*bad* engineering practice to depend on magic words. As I said, I've seem more than one rookie gigged by such dumbass mistakes.

...and you open yourself to the problem I describe above; *BAD* plan.

Reply to
krw

Its not a bad plan. Just add a few gates to control the clock and data so the FPGA only sees the data it needs to see. I've used this method and it works excellent.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

That's not what he's advocating.

Reply to
krw

parts

flash

FPGA.

insane

Mbits ???

by

It only takes one wire from the uP to the FPGA to hold the FPGA reset until you're ready to stream the config data.

John

real

parts

flash

FPGA.

insane

Mbits ???

is

internal

by

Again, that wasn't fonz' intention. He proposes to use the FPGA's config sync word as the delimiter. It might even work, during debug.

Reply to
krw

t in real

face parts

rial flash

es the FPGA.

mething insane

l 30 Mbits ???

AM bit is

t help a

RLL

dn't get

internal

ll not

Altera

out 15.

fective.

,

cheap,

ng to

gh the

nd the

ig

than one gigged by

=A0It's

seem

fig

take the standard dataflash the read command is 0x03 and three bytes of address that is 32bits

how could those 32 clocks in any possible way produce the 64bit sequence at the start of a config stream?

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

real

parts

flash

the FPGA.

something insane

Mbits ???

bit is

help a

get

internal

not

Altera

  1. >>

effective.

cheap,

the

the

gigged by

I've seen an 80 byte SOF record do the same.

Reply to
krw

port in real

terface parts

serial flash

gures the FPGA.

something insane

all 30 Mbits ???

y RAM bit is

sn't help a

se RLL

.

ouldn't get

zed internal

:1.

will not

the Altera

about 15.

effective.

GA,

tly,

are cheap,

going to

rough the

a and the

onfig

nfig

ed

re than one gigged by

? =EF=BF=BDIt's

aid, I've seem

PGA's config

if 32 bit becomes 64 something is seriously broken and you can't even read the flash correctly so no matter what you do it won't work

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

Ahh. That wasn't clear to me.

During development of JTAG programming routines for Xilinx FPGAs I smoked at least one FPGA. AFAIK the chances for something going are very small though because the frames also contain a CRC checksum. I also doubt missing the first frame is a problem since the start of the data consists of a few dummy frames to synchronize the FPGA to the datastream.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel