Xrays and scopes

somethings been bugging me for a little while...

given that I have a tektronics 549 storage scope from around the 1950's (in good working order).. is there any danger of getting a faceful of harmful x-ray radiation every time I look at the scope?

Reply to
Mark Fortune

Mark Fortune wrote in news:456cd516$0$2437$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

I doubt the anode V is sufficient to generate X-rays.

I suppose you could test by wrapping a piece of unexposed high speed B&W photo film in a light-tight wrap,perhaps of aluminum foil,and place in front of the scope CRT face for some length of time,then develop the film to see if it's fogged.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

No.

--

    Boris Mohar
Reply to

Nope

None if it is working properly. The high voltages are not high enough to X-Rays strong enough to get out of the tube.

Hugh Old Rad Safety guy

Reply to
Hugh Prescott

Thats good to know. I may still try the photopaper wrapped in tinfoil idea of jims though, just out of curiosity :)

Ordinarily I wouldnt worry too much... its just this thing is from an era where not a lot was known about the side effects of x-rays...

thanks for all the replies.

Reply to
Mark Fortune