Strategies for Buying Test Equipment off Ebay

Here's a few observations I've been thinking about when buying test
equipment off Ebay..

1) Not only am I bidding against people that actually want to use the
test equipment but I'm also bidding against used equipment resellers
buying test equipment to resell (on Ebay)!!??
Lets say somebody might not care about the money selling item X.. The
seller creates a starting bid of $100.00..Then a used equipment buyer
blows away everybody with a $1000.00 bid and then sells it back on
ebay parked forever at $1500.00 until a sucker comes along!!

2) Bidding soon may attract other buyers...Bidding late and there's a
risk of losing the bid.

3) I suspect UPS still has the highest brokerage rates. Using the USPS
is cheaper.

4) I seem to dodge used equipment resellers. They know their sh*t and
can appraise for optimum profit. They may even fish with ridiculous
prices on depreciated and used items. It's a profit game.
You get what you pay for.

5) I suspect the best prices are from those that don't care too much
about money and would just like a new home for they're cherished
oscilloscope. Unlike the sharks from the used equipment shops.

6) Not to bash the used equipment shops too much, they are calibrating
and testing. They also have the capability to scrap units for parts to
restore other units.
Ironically, their prices are useful to roughly guess at the savings
you get by buying from somebody else.

7) I suspect better prices are from those that are selling due to
upgrading, moving, company closure, gave up electronics, demo units
and let's not forget the possibility of stolen goods.

8) On occasion, some sellers (junk buyers) haven't a clue what they
have and just sell at a stupid price.. That's the best. Especially
when wise used test equipment buyers are too fat with mountains of
equipment and can't force the bid high.

Comments? Additions? Arguments? Observations?
Experiences?

D from BC

Re: Strategies for Buying Test Equipment off Ebay

(1) I've given up on eBay auctions.  If it doesn't have a "buy it now"
    option, I ignore it.

(2) eBay would be much more fair, and robot-tolerant, if they extended
    any auction with new bids within the last five minutes.  Keep
    adding five minutes until everyone's done bidding.

And to keep it on-topic, I do have a Tektronix 561A that's been
sitting idle for waaay too long...

Re: Strategies for Buying Test Equipment off Ebay

it now"
extended
Keep

is that a joke ?  extend it 5 minutes until everyone is done ,
thats not fair for a buyer it just lines the pocket of sellers by
exploiting the gotta have its and the emotional bidders who do
not really have a max value in there head

and OP  this topic shouild be in misc or equipment not design ? i
would have re-directed it but then you would never have seen it.

so is  the 561A considered obsolete ?

Re: Strategies for Buying Test Equipment off Ebay

If buyers are willing to pay more, they should have a chance to do so.
The current system allows a robo-bidder to outbid you within a split
second of the end of auction, giving you no opportunity to rebid.
Removing the "last split second" from auctions also discourages
robo-bidders, giving the humans a better chance of winning.

Gah, I hope so.  It's all tubes and silver solder, and has about a
1MHz bandwidth.  Can't even look at video signals with it.  I've got a
cheap parallel-port DSO that has more range and capabilities.

Re: Strategies for Buying Test Equipment off Ebay

The 560 series was obsolete at least 15 years ago.(according to TEK)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

if you bed high enought (remember the more you can bet...) the robot
will not be able to outbid you...
if you bet the actual bed plus $1, you will be outbed !

I saw that the final price for an object is almost always twice the
price it was half an hour before the end of the auction...

--
Jean-Yves.

Re: Strategies for Buying Test Equipment off Ebay
Primarily because the price a half hour before the end of the auction is
totally meaningless.

No intelligent eBay bidder would bid so early.

http://www.tinaja.com/glib/ebaysell.pdf

--
Many thanks,

Don Lancaster                          voice phone: (928)428-4073
Re: Strategies for Buying Test Equipment off Ebay

Well, it was 40 years ago.

John

Re: Strategies for Buying Test Equipment off Ebay
Look for  postings that say "AS-IS" or "FOR PARTS ONLY." Many times, the
seller puts these expressions in to cover his/her ass. This is true for many
of the large surplus junk e-stores.

Usually, they just have so much stuff, they don't even have time to plug it
in. Many people are totally against buying like this, but I have gotten some
VERY good deals on units that work fine. Sometimes, I am the only bidder and
the price I pay is less than the shipping costs.

But be aware, you should pay no more that 20% of the cost of a "good" unit,
with a warranty. That way, if it truly is junk, you haven't lost much.