Re: Strategies for Buying Test Equipment on E*bay Part 2

On Tue, 04 Dec 2007 22:23:44 GMT, "Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie"

>I think you need to stay off ebay while you're stoned. ;-) > > lol :) Maybe a few smd transistors accidently feel into my morning > cereal... > > Yeah...I'm showing a bit of E*bay paranoia but if E*bay wanted to make > more money, they could sell information such as most "watched items", > popular search keywords and page hit lists to resellers. This results in > more sales to make E*bay even more money..

I believe that one of the reasons ebay (why the asterisk?) is making such huge money now is that they _don't_ do that crap.

If they did, it would (I believe) drastically reduce their customer base, for just the reasons you cite. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Richard the Dreaded Libertaria

I write E*bay in hopes that software automation doesn't spam SED. E*bay without the * could be a good scanning keyword.

Yes.. Its a good thing E*bay doesn't (AFAIK) provide resellers with detailed hot item lists. If E*bay did, I think it would cause a bubble up effect so that some items will be priced to the least improbability of a purchase. Out of reach for poor Joe Schmuck but certainly affordable for Mr. Big Bucks.

However the e*bay pulse page gives resellers a teaser of a hot list.

Popular Searches HP Fluke tektronix ifr sencore simpson anritsu leader marconi heathkit

Currently most watched items

Tektronix TDS220 Item number: 260187806127 approx 10 bidders Tektronix TDS 754C Tektronix 495P Spectrum Analyzer ...

The above items have too much exposure!! Think you'll save...NOT! This attracts sharky resellers that can outbid you.

Ok... take item 260187806127 (The TDS220) for example: Time left is 1hr Current winning bid is $701.00

I'll guess the winning bid will be ~$1600.00. Why? Because I think a reseller can flip it for $2000.00..

Who will win... I'll guess the bidder who bid $105.00 on Nov.19 will snipe with a max bid of $1800.00.

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

It ended at $701. Why? Because that's a reasonable price for a used TDS220, although they sometimes go for a bit less. Tick tick. What is your time worth? I'll sell you my mint TDS3032B for $3000, including probes and carry case, if you'll just end the agony. Over and out. Paul Mathews

Reply to
Paul Mathews

What a bad guess I made for the final price. :( Although, nobody knows what the winner used as a max bid. Wow... no sniping..The bid stayed at 701.00 for more than a hour.

I'm doing ok with my analog scope but I'd go for a DSO if it's at a crazy price. I lurk on E*bay mostly for sport..

D from BC

Reply to
D from BC

Then you'll do much better at a physical auction - *B*y has a few dozen other people (or more than a few dozen, depending on the day and item) that feel exactly the same way. You're far more likely to get crazy prices at an auction where the bidders are physically present - if nobody wants it and there's no or low reserve, you can get some deals.

That hardly ever happens on *B*y, or depends on taking a crapshoot on something that might well be broken, in hopes that the seller is just a doofus. If the seller is an alligator that's good at looking like a doofus, you'll get skint. If the seller is a doofus, you still might get something broken. Far worse odds than a "real" auction, if you can find a real one that has the type of stuff you want.

Ecnerwal