Simple paging system needed

At work we need to repair or replace our old Bogen paging system. The one we have is dirt simple, and that's all we need, but we can't seem to find anything like it anymore, and Bogen no longer sells parts or anything else that's compatable.

All we need is a system that has maybe 30 handsets and maybe 20 speakers which anyone can walk up to and press a button to get himself heard everywhere we have speakers. He would then wait for the paged person to pick up any other handset and they could talk. We don't want or need point-to-point dialing or the possibility of multiple non-interfering conversations.

Unfortunately the people looking into this have not found a cheap solution. The claim is that no one makes anything like this anymore. I'm hoping that someone here knows of, or has for sale, something we could use.

I don't know the Bogen model number for the phones we now have, but I could get it if it would help. They are all wall mount phones with 8 digit keypads. To put yourself on the speakers you just hold down # 7 and speak. No one seems to know what the other buttons do. We never use them, nor do we ever have the need for more features. We have regular telephone service thruout this area (which we must keep separate) so the only purpose for the paging system is to find someone when you don't know exactly where they are.

Right now our amp is fine, although we have to repair it occasionally, the speakers are fine, and the cabling is fine. All we really need are a few (less than 10) compatable handsets. Used would be fine.

I'm open to suggestions.

thanks,

-

Jim Adney

You might check out offerings from Aiphone:

Check to see if any of the 'Handset Audio Systems' listed on this page are what you need.

jak

Jim Adney wrote:

Reply to
jakdedert

Jim -

I have no specific knowledge of your system, but you're right, it is dirt simple. It sounds like there is a simple two-wire telephone system (just like the phones in your house), with the wire pair connected to all the handsets. When you push a button (which happens to be the #7 button on your handets), it pulls in a relay that also connects the wire pair to the input of the PA amplifier. There might be a third wire route to each phone which is used to pull in the relay, or it could be accomplished on the original wire pair.)

Regardless of how it happens, there is undoubtedly a relay somewhere near the PA amp input.

You didn't say exactly what problem you are experiencing, but you said the amplifier is good and the speakers are good, and you need only a few handsets. Based on this, I assume that either none of the handsets can page (which points at the relay), or a few of the handsets can't page (which points at the #7 button on the affected handsets). Since it is an old system, you might consider simply cleaning the relay contacts and the button contacts.

This old Bogen stuff is bullet-proof - it never dies - and it would be a shame to replace it if you don't need to.

Bill Jeffrey ======================

Jim Adney wrote:

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

I'm not the one working on this. I'm just the one who thinks that it's silly to replace everything just because we need to add a few more handsets. Yes, I believe there are 4 wires to every phone.

I know there is some kind of interface between the phone lines, which are probably all wired just as you say, and the amp.

The ONLY problem is that we have a very few broken handsets which we need to fix or replace, and we want to add a few more handsets in a few places that don't already have them.

Any suggestions as to where to look for some old Bogen handsets?

What chance is there that we could just use standard phones, which I can buy for less than $20, and add a button?

thanks,

-

Jim Adney