signal generator

Where cani find equipment that makes my laptop work as a signal generator which makes it possible to simulate a crankshaft pickup signal . The pickup detects tooths on flywheel for the starter motor. Ingvar Norway.

Reply to
ytreboe

I've written custom code to do this for ignition timing control with a laptop. In my case, I used the parallel port to read the (conditioned) signal from the crank sensor, forwarding it after an RPM-dependent delay to the ignition module. It is not an especially-complex thing to do, but I've never seen anything "off the shelf" with comparable functionality that wasn't tied to specific engine-management hardware.

-- jm

Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam

John Miles

generator

Thank you very much for the answer. . Im working with volvo penta diesel engines. The pickup signal is about 3-10 v AC depending on rpm. I suppose its a square wave but Im new int o oscilloscopes however I have bought Pico ADC 212 to try to learn more about it. Sometimes I need to fake a signal to make the cpu think that the engine is running to check if the the engine stops if for example loss of oil pressure occurs. (this in generator sets running 24 hours a day) How do you use the paralell port to read the signal? And how to create such signal ? Im a mecanic so I need explanation step by step if you have time........ Thank you Ingvar

Reply to
ytreboe