rf telemetry question

Ok, here's my situation:

I have this project where I would like to do some remote sensing of

16-20 analog inputs, about ten samples per second, and receive it in real time on my PC. Don't need much precision; 8 bits is plenty. Range is less than 30 feet.

After reading up a bit, I'm thinking the most straightforward way is to use some microcontroller with a digital RF transmitter, say for example the rfPIC12C509AF, and an ADC to collect and transmit data cyclically to a reciever connected to my PC.

It's the receiver I'm wondering about. I kind of expected this to be a rather typical use for a transmitter (send telemetry to your computer), so I kind of expected to see some receievers that I could connect to a PC, say via a serial port, obviating the need to build one myself. But I can't find any.

So, can anyone point me to something that does what I need? More generally, does this sound like a good strategy? I'm open to suggestions.

In case I've successfully managed to hide the fact that I haven't done anything like this before, I'd like to keep it straightforward. I have to order all this stuff from scratch. I do know the equations very well, but I have hardly any experience actually wiring stuff together.

Thank you for any help,

--
CARL BANKS
Reply to

----

----

Do a web search on "RF modems". There are a lot of companies that make fairly inexpensive units. You could use a cheaper PIC, and output RS-232 into an RF modem linked to your PC. As a bonus, your PC could also talk to your PIC and do any kind of control you might need.

John

Reply to
John Schuch

Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,
then throw away a week before you need it.
Reply to
Joe Soap

snipped-for-privacy@aerojockey.com (Carl Banks) wrote: [snip]

Does exactly what it says on the tin.