Reconing speakers

Hi.

I have a pair of 'home made' Radford Monitor 1 speakers (I think they are monitor 1s anyhow)

They have genuine Radford driver units, but the left speaker seems to have problems with its midrange drivers.

I removed one of the drivers, and fed it a 1kHz sine, which came out sounding practically square.

pressing gently on the top side of the cone restored a nomal tone.

I tested the other unit on a hunch and it was bad too, same fault.

They have had gentle treatment, and the tweeters are intact, so I suspect the cones have simply distorted over their many years (pushing on the same side of the drivers fixes both of them, and they were mounted the same way up.) I dont think they were overdriven.

The speakers were wired in series, being 4 ohm drivers, the rest of the system all being 8 ohms. the crossover seems good (and heavy!)

Given how good these speakers sound when working, I'd like to get the two damaged midranges fixed (there are two per speaker).

I dont want to go to any old 'car hifi' reconer, these are very much hi-fi units.

Can anyone recommend a good reconing service, or a source of genuine radford replacement drivers (4 ohm, midrange, ~3.75-4inches dia)

I forgot to note the part number, but can look it up. I am in the UK

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ian Molton

Try UK.REC.AUDIO

Kal

Reply to
Kalman Rubinson

I'll give it a try. I was hoping to avoid a religious war though ;-)