Re: Help! - Problems with UPS unit for computer equipment

Also look on the back of the unit. There might be a momentary push button that is used to change the input acceptance window. If you AC input is marginal then it might be faulting. I have seen APC's cycle on and off line when input voltage is too low/high.

I recently purchased a used APC Smart-UPS 1000 (Model SU1000BX120) > through ebay. This item was listed as being in "good condition", with > no batteries included. > > Searching APC's web site and other sources, I determined this needed > an RBC6 battery pack or equivalent. I subsequently purchased two 12 > volt 12 amp hour batteries. > > The UPS arrived, the batteries arrived, and APC's documentation is not > very clear on battery installation. It would appear that the two > batteries are to be connected in series, thereby providing 24 volts of > output. > > I installed the batteries, plugged in a small load (a 100W lamp), > plugged in and turned on the UPS. The load gauge showed one LED, the > battery charge gauge showed one LED, the on-line LED blinked for about > 5 seconds before going off, and the on-battery LED stayed lit. The > UPS beeped four times every 30 seconds as it is supposed to when on > battery power. The lamp did come on. The UPS would not stay powered > by the utility. > > I've read some things that indicate a UPS will do funny things until > the batteries are charged. So I left the UPS turned off but plugged > in overnight, as the manual indicates that this will charge the > battery. > > Since the following morning, here is what happens, either with or > without a load plugged in. Upon pressing the On button, all the LEDs > flash once, there is a beep, and somewhere inside a switch is thrown > (I can hear it click). Subsequent presses of the ON button do > nothing. Pressing and holding the ON button gets one beep after one > second, and that can be repeated. Pressing and holding the OFF button > for one second resets the internal switch (I can hear it click), at > which point I can repeat the action in this paragraph. The lamp > (load) never even blinks. > > On the chance I screwed up the battery connection, I removed one > battery and tried it again. The only difference is that after the > LEDs flash and the beep, there is apparently not enough juice to get > the internal switch to "stick". Repeated pressing of the ON button > causes the same LED flash and beep. > > Any ideas on where to go from here to make this thing work, or have I > done something to screw it up? Any thoughts/help is appreciated. > Thanks! >
Reply to
Thom

Not familiar with this particular model, but I do know couple of things about UPS' APC ups' usually OFF-LINE type which means AC input goes through to output until AC input fails, then Batteries come ON-LINE.

- Did you received any Docs ?

- Look at the specs for the DC voltage which determines how many batteries in series you need.

- The UPS batteries are not quite the same as the standard car batteries. Read carefully the battery type specs recommended by APC for this model. I have seen some odd types which means must by from the manufacturer at exagerated prices.

Trouble shooting can be very difficult without complete tech docs. Mostly they change the boards ($$$).

Wish I could help more. Good luck

"Thom" a écrit dans le message de news: w0fNa.25280$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.prod.itd.earthlink.net...

line

Reply to