Re: Need help with CTC187 blooming/regulation problem

Nadir: Sounds to me like basic power supply B+ regulation has failed..... bad regulator chip, high esr electrolytics, shorted diodes, etc...... a common high failure part is the STK regulator but the other parts of the circuit must be tested. Put a meter on the regulated B+ rail and then vary the AC input voltage with a variac +/- 10 volts to see if the B+ holds steady. If the problem is not there, then look for faulty screen filtering caps .... usually low up/high voltage units near and around the flyback...... i.e.

22@250, etc.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

I am currently working on an RCA 27" model F27634ET, chassis CTC187BJ. > The original problem was the set would squeal when plugged in and > wouldn't power on. Q401 was shorted B-E, I don't have a BUH517 on > hand so I subbed with a BU2520DF. C4709 was also replaced and I > resoldered the flyback, STK regulator, H-Out transformer and pretty > much most of the deflection/PS section of the board. The set now runs > and the HOT is warm to the touch but well below maximum temperature. > However the picutre changes size dramatically with any change in > brightness. If I turn the brightness down low the picture will shrink > down by about 20% on all sides and there is some pincushion > distortion. I suspected it may be the usual tuner solder problem but > if i bring up a static picture and firmly tap the tuner the picture > doesn't flinch. Pincushion problems are usually related to Q851, > D851, C4803, C4402, C4403, CR4402, C4407 and CR4403 but here they all > test OK. I suspect it may be the STK regulator module failing but I > want to be sure before replacing it. Any help is appreciated. > Thanks.
Reply to
Sofie

keithb2077
Reply to