HP 9122 floppy drive

I have one of these, more of a gift than not.

Internally, the floppy seems to be a 26 pin interface, 4 pin power,

3.5 (??) inch drive. However:

1) the "standard" IBM size disk does not fit in, making me think that I am dealing with another HP "Standard" product. The drive is a sony, and that also makes me think that I've got a "standard" product.

I suspect that these are an early variety of floppy disk that is probably no longer produced. It would figure, since that's what I need to store setups on my 1631D logic analyzer.

Anybody know where to get these disks, and even if they are still available?

Or just as good, anybody got enough data on the drive (including pinouts) so I can swap a standard dos drive in there and make a 26 to

34 pin adapter... assuming that it doesn't take 6.87 and 14.385 volts as supply....

I don't care about data interchange, just storing the logic analyzer setups on the disk. I can also put in a separate "standard" disk drive, if needed.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White

HP9122 = 360K Single sided, single density. Sony drive unit. I used to cover up the hole on a DS diskette to fool it. Worked sometimes, not others. A 'Write-protect" tab from a 5+1/4" floppy did the the trick. I also seem to remember having some success replacing the drive with a new DS/DD unit. Of course, the system could only understand the disks if they were formatted as single-side/single density, but there are options on the DOS Format for that. (on another machine)

Reply to
Michael Gray

I don't know if it mazy helps but: I have some 5 " 1/4 floppies single sided that could be used with microcomputer as Apple ][. If you want some just contact me , I may arrange to ship you one. brand is DISTAR or HO SHING HD55-A. I may have diagrams of the pinout connections as well. Also, I have an 5"1/4 floppy P/N U240B041-04 by Mitsubishi Electric NAMFS2 rotative motor is 12V and driven by a M51795SP chip. Computer (it includes a Mitsubishi M52812FP chip and M52803P (datecode are not clearly indentifiabled but it seems quite old (comes from a Compaq computer) there are jumpers called SR, PM2, DC, RI, MM, MS, IS, IL, HR, DD, IU, TD,DS2, DS1, DS0, MX, DS3

@+ regards. MB.

Michael Gray wrote:

Reply to
Matthieu BENOIT

Got that far with it, so thanks.

Not too worried about that, since I actually have some of the older floppies somewhere.

Now that I think I will investigate. The drive seems to be a bit odd, and I'm not sure if the upper head is working. Seems that if the drive mechanism freezes (because of the lubricant drying out) you can easily damage the upper head of the drive.

I'll look into this. I found the pin connections on a Japanese site, but since he copied the definitions from the spec sheet, and Japanese uses english for them, I'm ok without having to translate the Japanese.

This uses a 26 pin cable, and I can just go make a 26 to 34 pin adaptor if I need to.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey White