Baird Atomic SCR Test Set ... huh?

I've just acquired a ton of older, quality (Fluke, HP, Tektronix, Ballantine, etc) test equipment, some of which I will be selling (let me know if you need anything. No list yet. Prices will be reasonable but not give-a-way).

One piece is a big question mark for me, however: a Baird Atomic SCR Test Set.

This device is about 18"W by 24" high and must weigh 120 pounds. A prior owner built a plug-in jig that accepts small socketed IC's (SCR's?), yet there are also two recessed femail connectors that are huge - designed to carry very high voltage, or more likely very high current ... almost like you'd plug welding leads there. This seems like an odd combination!

Does anyone know 1) what this is, 2) what it was used for, 3) how it might be repurposed (maybe I can use it for something other than testing SCR's), 4) where I can secure a manual, 5) what is it worth, and 6) someone who might want to purchase it if it's just good for testing SCR's?

I'm in a suburb of Detroit. Pickup only.

I will post photos on my website in a few days!

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
w8kzw

Most likely, it is exactly what it says - a machine for testing SCRs. When SCRs first appeared in the mid-1960's (IIRC) there was a big move to retrofit massive power supplies for plating, magnets for particle accelerators, etc. from thyratrons to SCRs. And, the people doing the retrofitting needed to make sure the SCRs performed up to spec. With the Baird Atomic brand, I would suspect these went to the particle accelerator folks. I think they may have made big magnet power supplies, too. Here's some historical info on the company,

Seems to indicate your unit was made before 1978, I really doubt Thermo Electron is going to have any info on it, but it is worth a call.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson