B&K 4007DDS sweep generator

WAAAAAAAAA!!!

Why? Even if it did store the previous settings, most likely they would be wrong for the task at hand.

So a fast changing digital frequency display is going to help you? How?

Michael A. Terrell

What an ass!.

Have you ever considered the fact that maybe it needs to be in a fixed operation where settings are required to be maintain between power cycles?

Also, being able to monitor the frequency, at most likely a slow ramp rate, is a useful tool if you are performing some test on a device. One may want to know where a change is taking place visually.

It just goes to show your ignorance and how you think the world should revolve around what you think and believe in..

Lord, help us! between our current leader and idiots like this, we're in a heap of trouble..

In other words! Who gives a shit what you think ? Most likely "oparr" won't after that comment.. You seem to lack the common sense of what value basic functions like "oparr" is looking for, is worth!

It kind of makes me wonder about the authenticity of the drivel you spew out..

Oh, I'm sure you'll have an asinine comment that makes it sound like you're regressing back to child hood play ground games.

And if it makes you feel any better, go ahead and post my real name. Like it makes a shit hole of a difference.

Reply to
Jamie

then buy a crappy old Wavetek with pots.

A series of changing digits is fairly useless. If that's what he really wants, he needs an ultrasonic network analyzer.

You still refuse to tell us where you work, yet expect people to believe your crap.

You can always leave, idiot.

Yet you offer no suggestions, just your usual trolling and whining.

Nothing about you makes any difference. You hide behind a fake name, and pretend you know something. Tell the OP exactly what test equipment he needs to buy, or go away. The HP 3325 has a touch pad to enter initial settings, and a rotary encoder to make adjustments. B&K was never lab grade equipment. They made run of the mill test equipment for TV shops, just like Sencore & Heathkit.

is the operators manual, which shows how to store settings. You can also use the IEEE-488 or RS-232 interface to program it as part of an ATE or SATE test system.

is the service manual and parts list, for those with enough brains to know what to do with it. I've troubleshot some of these, when the old guy in the metrology lab ran into problems. The biggest problem is relay failures on high usage units.

Now, where are your recommendations?

Michael A. Terrell

Let's put the "Clash of the Test Equipment Titans" aside for the moment...Do you or any>

Reply to
oparr

At the risk of disturbing this lovely flame war, the 3325s I know don't have knobs, which is one of their least endearing features. The other non-endearing one is that the triangle and sawtooth outputs crap out at

10 kHz. Also, iirc some early ones had a nasty glitch at the DAC's major carry, so I got into the habit of filtering the output. The B model doesn't do that, and neither do the later A's AFAIK.

Other than that, it's a great instrument--I spent my own money on a nice used one about 3 months ago. A bit on the mammoth side compared to more modern stuff--you definitely need a rack.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

A few years ago I bought an HP3314A function generator. It has tons of features (and some limitations) but overall I like it very much.

                     "If it doesn't fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

An arbitrary waveform generator would let you have any waveform you want. Create the wave shape you want, and use it as is. No need for two instruments.

If all you want is a simple, linear DC ramp you can build one with a counter (or microprocessor) & DAC. We used some Analog Devices Dual 18 bit DAC in a design for a 0 to -44 dB video attenuator. That, plus a switched 20 db gain stage gave us a 0 to -64 dB range with .1 dB steps. It has a serial input and operates from a single +5 V rail. The second DAC was used to trim the DC offset for the entire video system.

Michael A. Terrell

Yes, its big, but considering that it has a lot of TTL logic and relays to set the output level in millivolts or dB, it was fairly compact for when it was designed. it was intended for ATE applications, where a rack or two wasn't out of the question. When used with a HP

8660 and other HP equipment of that era, it was rather compact. :)

The last version of the maual was dated 1990, after all.

We used heavy duty shop carts for the larger test equipment for several reasons, including the ability to unplug a few cables and roll the whole thing into the metrology lab, when needed. If a piece of equipment failed, you just asked a couple techs to lift the top of the stack and switched out the failed equipment. :)

Michael A. Terrell
[3325]

Good reason to get an HP 8116a instead. They can be had for about $350 working, ($150 non-working) and it's a lot smaller to boot.

Reply to
JW

For what it's worth, I got a complete refund for the sweep generator. They didn't deduct their shipp> It's 20% in this case, almost $80.00, if I purchased the product in

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D