Anyone familiar with a Mitsubishi DA-R35 receiver or AR11s?

My system became unplugged for about 6 months and wont restart easily: The receiver wouldn't start and just lay inactive for about three hours Everything was dead including the whole tuner section which was stuck at beginning of the register. No controls worked. Then suddenly it sprang to life and started working. I am pretty sure I didnt put any batteries in the compartment at the back to corrode but is this starting procedure normal?

But then the AR11s (possibly about 20 years olf?) started giving problems: One seems OK but the other only gives a thin scratchy mid- range sound and intermittently at that. It sounds like dirty pots or whatever those controls are behind the three position switches? Or does this speaker just need new caps on the crossover? Does anyone know of any instructions on line to get at the cross-over please? (There seems to be a vintage speaker forum with lots of dead links on it)

Reply to
DManzaluni

On 10/23/2009 7:14 PM DManzaluni spake thus:

I rescued a pair of AR-4xs I got realllly cheap, and both of their treble controls were shot. I ended up just yanking them out and disabling them (I left them in physically, just took them out of the circuit). There's really no need for them anyhow, so far as I can tell.

David Nebenzahl

Yes, I paid $45 for this pair and they have given amazing service for about a decade or so!! That was why I wanted to try cleaning up the works a bit and your suggestion is an excellent one: Those switches don't seem to DO anything. But how do you get at the crossover? Is this a take-out-the -woofer' job?

Reply to
DManzaluni

On 10/24/2009 8:50 AM DManzaluni spake thus:

Yes (assuming the AR-2 is similar to my AR-4x, which I think it is). Remove the grille, take out the woofer, which gives you access to the innards. Working on my speakers was pretty easy as I remember.

Since your amplifier undoubtedly has a treble control, you don't really need those controls anyhow. They're kind of a conceit, I guess, for audiophools who thought they should "tune" the speakers to their "soundspace" or whatever.

David Nebenzahl

Many modern amps do not have tone controls, and they aren't likely to be optimized for even simple "room acoustics" adjustments.

Level controls were on speakers long, long before there were "audiophools".

Some rooms are bright or dull, and require some adjustment from the speakers. Continuously variable controls were gradually replaced with a two- or three-position switch. Many modern speakers have no controls at all, probably because the designers don't want the listener screwing with their work.

My Apogee Divas have a three-position switch for the supertweeter. They're also biamped through an electronic crossover that allows small adjustments (no more the +/- 2dB or 3dB) to be made to the midrange drivers, and what they call the "rake" -- the gradual rolloff of high frequencies often needed when playing orchestral recordings. There's a also a control that adjusts the relative output of the woofer and mid/high drivers.

These controls are extremely useful, to say the least. Don't condemn them if you're never used them.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

On 10/24/2009 12:39 PM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

Well, OK, I'm not condemning them; just saying that it's not the end of the world if one has to sacrifice their function on a pair of otherwise very good speakers acquired cheaply.

David Nebenzahl