airbags

I am looking for schematic or service manual with schematic for airbag control module for 2000 and up Honda Accord and Nissan Maxima. Or how can I fix the control module after airbags were deployed. Thank you.

Reply to
Andrey

Leave it to someone who know what they're doing, has the right training, qualifications, test equipment, etc, etc.

The car must be a bit smashed up after the airbags got deployed. Again leave airbag deployment electronics to someone who knows what they're doing.

As these are a *safety* item, and if they're not setup correctly they may not deploy when needed, or could deploy when not needed, with the obvious legal implications.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

Michael Turner: You are EXACTLY correct...... a huge liability and safety issue. My brother works for a GM dealer in town here and he had to go to factory training initially for 2 weeks and then refresher courses every year to stay certified..... as a certified airbag systems technician he has an awesome responsibility... just imagine the scenarios that you described..... not deploying when they are suppose to and someone ends up getting killed or critically injured...... and deploying when they are NOT suppose to and causing the driver to lose control of the automobile and causing a horrific accident where there is loss of life, injuries, properly loss, etc.

-- Best Regards, Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

---------------

Reply to
Sofie

stay

horrific

The deploying when not supposed to concerns me far more, I've heard a few stories of water getting into airbag controllers and the driver ending up with a broken nose when they turn the key. I've never owned a car with an airbag but if I did I can be fairly certain I would disconnect it, I know I'll get flamed for saying that but the airbags in north america are excessively powerful and IMO not nessesary in a well designed car with properly buckled occupants.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yup I totally agree with you Daniel.

For the benefit of anyone who's never seen an airbag being deployed. This page contains a video clip of one.

BANG!

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

Not to mention that at least in America, it's 'Not My Fault' and 'Who Can I Sue?'

stay

horrific

may

obvious

Reply to
Tymanthius

Please! I get sick to death of hearing this crap about America being a libelous society. If corporations weren't so bottom line thinking we wouldn't HAVE so MANY consumer products that were deathtraps waiting to go off. You must be a Republican to so readily blame the victim.

Reply to
gothika

Good point. In my opinion more emphasis needs to be put on safe driving pracctices and avoiding accidents in the first place.

Reply to
gothika

That's a silly assumption. Actually, I have very radical political views. Can't stand the 2 party system in America, and I'm grieved that our form of democracy is largely broken (although it's still better than many places form of gov't).

And I don't assume it's the victims fault everytime. But many many of the lawsuits are frivolous(sp?) as they are the result some idiot doing more than s/he should or could.

Anyway, this isn't the place for such discussions, and I should have refrained from phrasing it the way I did, although it is a valid warning.

Feel free to take them private if you believe you can keep up.

tymanthius-at-usa-dot-net

:)

Reply to
Tymanthius

Can

of

I'd have to agree, the real world is dangerous, it can mame or kill, enter at your own risk. If a product is blatantly dangerous to use as directed then the manufacture should be at fault, if a product is capable of being

*misused* in a way that's dangerous and someone gets hurt, that's their own damn fault.

Same with those silly cases of people trespassing and getting hurt sueing the owner of the property, if you break into *my* house and manage to hurt yourself, regardless of the circumstances you were not authorized to be there and it should *not* be my fault what happens. I'm not republican either, but this country has far too many lawyers.

Reply to
James Sweet

few

up

an

know

you're

And IMO it's a no brainer to buckle up, as you say, accidents happen, sometimes someone else does something stupid and there's no way to avoid it, I always put my seatbelt on out of habbit when I get into a car, but then I don't really care if other people do it, if they'd like to risk dying that's their decision, just so long as it's not in my car.

Reply to
James Sweet

[snip]

And anyway, an airbag won't do you a bit of good in a rollover or similar accident with multiple impacts. With a seatbelt, at least your body doesn't go bouncing around the inside of the vehicle as it rolls.

note to spammers:  a Washington State resident
Broken pipe. Command flooded basement.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

factory

awesome

not

or

and

Even if you are the best driver ever, you never know what driving precautions the driver next to you is taking. So even if you drive safely, someone else might hit you. Happens to all of us. I agree though, if you're buckled up, the airbag is worthles (might even kill you in a serious collision). Sometimes more, is less.

--Viktor

Reply to
electricked

Reply to
Mark (UK)

Not so much an electronics issue, more an energetic materials one. You do realise that air bags are deployed by a small charge of

*explosive*? The control unit is probably fine, since it is just a g-force trigger to fire the explosives. Get some semtex, or just take it to the repair shop and try not to hit lamp posts too hard next time.
Reply to
FoxyRick

In North America they have advertised ABS brakes and air bags so much that most uneducated drivers believe thay are immortal when they get behind the wheel of a vehicle with them. This causes their poor driving skills to become even worse.

Reply to
sparky

I thought ABS would help so I got it (extra cost option) on the Saturn I bought for my wife. It is worse than useless, on gravel it releases the brakes unexpectedly when the vehicle was in perfect control. Often in a sloped gravel parking lot the car will suddenly lunge at the next car when the brakes release.

--
free men own guns - slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

I was exiting up a high speed curved ramp that joins I10 to US60 here in Phoenix. Some clown who missed his exit cut across the berm right into my path. I fully expected to hit him but the ABS gave me perfect braking in that curve with no slip. Now this was a real car, a Q45, not a toy like a Saturn.

...Jim Thompson

I read in sci.electronics.design that Nick Hull wrote (in ) about 'airbags', on Tue, 17 Feb 2004:

Maybe they fitted AnaBolic Steroids by mistake.

John Woodgate

Yes, there is liability. yes you need to know what your doing. Can you fix them yourself if your knowledgeable and prepared? Yes.

I repaired them on my 1990 ford taurus. It took much research to do it. Most aftermarket manuals have NO information on the airbag systems. (due to liability issues no doubt). I had to get the Ford factory manuals to find the information. I discovered many issues that can affect operation. Just the grounding of the sensors can affect operation. So in some cases, just undoing the sensors and prepping the mount surface from rust and corrosion will do the trick.

You have to follow the shop manuals instructions. Usually, this involves disconnecting the battery and powering down the car for x amount of time before you touch anything. This is very important.

In my case, i regrounded the sensors and replaced a few. Even after that, i still had a blinking air bag light. After replacing the air bag diagnostic module, i finally got mine fixed.

Mine was a older car. I used salvaged parts. Many people consider this NOT kosher. My spin is if they were working on the car they came off of, they should be usable on my car. and they were. Better have used parts and no airbag light than a blinking light and NO airbags. Is it a 100% guarantee they will be OK? NO. But better than no airbags at all if they were disabled by a blinking code.

The rules for working on airbags are having the factory manuals, researching all the error code blinks and what they mean, and being more than careful. Its not for the faint of heart. If your technically competent, you can do it with the proper stuff. If your not, pay someone to do it.

Bob

- The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

BOB URZ