Schematic or service manual for SOLA 325 UPS

My longserving SOLA 325 UPS suddenly quit yesterday. Other than a relay that switches when power is supplied, it appears completely dead.

Anyone have a sevice manual, or schematic, for this model?

Or ideas? Normally, my first thought would be that its PSU had failed, but it has batteries as backup!

Thanks

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Jean-Christophe

Thanks, but that appears to be from the 305 model, which seems to be different.

In the mean, time I've discovered that the reason it's completely dead even on battery is that the 40A fuse to the battery has blown. Disconnecting the large transformer and shorting out the fuse allows the display to light, go through its initialisation cycle, and then indicate a fault.

The failure of the fuse wouldn't explain why the device won't run while on mains power, so the fuse is presumably a symptom of something else.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

It could just be fatigue !

--
Best Regards:
                     Baron.

Uh, sorry ... not close enough ?

I strongly suggest that you replace the fuse, because the unknown fault might make things worse, and you may blow up the whole unit ( which could solve the problem )

Sure it is. Sorry I didn't find the manual.

What is the error/fault message on the display ?

Reply to
Jean-Christophe

Seems to be different, though it's useful in showing the likely general configuration.

"UPS fault" indicated by a continuous beep from the unit.

Given the number of transformer leads that I have unplugged, this is hardly surprising.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

he

te

Of course ... sounds a bit like Monty Python to me.

Since you don't know the cause of the original failure, are you sure I won't happend again ?

Did a short-circuit occur on the output(s) of this UPS ?

Reply to
Jean-Christophe

I've commented elsewhere in this thread that I've identified a couple of power switching FETs which are defective. One of them is shortcircuited, across all three terminals, which would certainly have blown the fuse.

Of course, that just pushes the question down a level - am I sure that whatever blew the FETs won't happen again. And of course, the answer has to be no.

These transistors only switch when the UPS is in backup mode. At other times, they're not switching, but their drains are connected to the secondary of a transformer that has mains applied to the primary. The failure could be attributed to a power spike, though I have to note that the UPS is plugged into a surge arrestor, and nothing else in the house seems to have suffered.

No.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Have you asked SOLA?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 04:05:47 -0700 (PDT), Jean-Christophe put finger to keyboard and composed:

The OP could interrogate the UPS via its RS232 port using HyperTerminal:

Unfortunately the status information probably won't tell her anything useful.

BTW, I would suggest that sci.electronics.repair is probably a better newsgroup for this type of question than sci.electronics.design.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

I've asked the company that took them over. I don't hold out much hope though. They don't really have an interest in helping people repair old gear.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

solotech had written this in response to

: Try

Cheers.

My longserving SOLA 325 UPS suddenly quit yesterday. Other than a relay that switches when power is supplied, it appears completely dead.

Anyone have a sevice manual, or schematic, for this model?

Or ideas? Normally, my first thought would be that its PSU had failed, but it has batteries as backup!

Thanks

Sylvia.

Electronics Enthusiasts' Community of the Net Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - sci.electronics.design,aus.electronics - messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
solotech