60 hertz hum

Hi Sofie...

Been in the UK many times as well, but not in the last 20 years... would like to once more if I can. Never heard crikey, either, neither there or here in Canada.

My favorite expression I heard there was from someone I was doing a bit of a job with. I made a foolish mistake, and he accused me of "dropping a clanger" :)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

It's an old expression and I was trying to be polite as a visitor to a non UK newsgroup.

Otherwise I'd have said bollocks or s**te. ;-)

--
*No sentence fragments *

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

FWIW, I've heard crikey used in the U.S. many times (but I don't recall hearing it in the U.K. during the year +/- I lived there). Perhaps it's a regional thing.

minimize spam.  Our true address is of the form che...@prodigy.net.
Reply to
CJT

I knew that would raise some rabble. Yes, of course I recognize the potential (so to speak) problems with opening the safety ground connection. However, a few interesting points exist in this particular situation:

- The device is a laptop, and there is no direct connection from the ground pin through the (double-insulated) AC adapter/charger to the laptop chassis, so it's really not much of a "safety" ground.

- There are two small value (10 nF) caps from each side of the power line to the ground terminal inside the adapter, presumably as an RFI suppression measure.

- All of the audio equipment involved was plugged into the *same* outlet strip - it seems highly unlikely that there'd be much of ground loop within the 6" or so of 16 gauge wire separating the plugs

- Finally (and this is really no excuse), my house is old enough that I'm not convinced that all of the three prong outlets have their ground pin connected to anything at all. It's not so old that it's knob-and-tube, but the outlets were originally two prong, and I think that many were just replaced with three-prong as placebos, without pulling a ground wire. At least the garage (with the concrete floor and the power tools) is wired correctly...

-- Mark "I prefer heaven for climate, hell for company."

Reply to
Mark Moulding

Hi...

As a side issue, there are testers available for only a couple of dollars that you can plug into your outlets that will (by way of three neon lamps) easily tell you whether or not ground exists, and if hot/neutral are reversed.

Just mentioned it wondering if it might not increase your comfort level.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Weitzel

How do you work that out?

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

You obviously haven't lived!(:-)

Used to be an everyday exclamation

Alan

Reply to
Alan Holmes

dunno about there in in Australia and New Zealand it's heard occasionally.

my (aging) Concise Oxoford dictionary dosen't specifty that it's unique to any place.

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Second harmonic of 50 Hz. A lot of the hum you hear in the US is actually

120 Hz for the same reason. Most objects, including speakers, really don't radiate that well at 50 - 60 Hz fundamental, but can and do radiate pretty well at some of the higher harmonics.
Reply to
Karl Uppiano

I always thought the 60Hz caused core laminations, coil windings, etc to smack into each other at both peaks of the waveform, hence the 120Hz sound from a 60Hz source. I could be off on the process, but I do know that if I use a sound editor on my computer to produce a 120Hz sine wave it sounds just like the 60Hz hum from transformers.

Reply to
James Sweet

Yeah, I think a magnet or buzzer (like in an old alarm clock) will be attracted by both peaks of a 50 or 60 Hz input, and oscillate at the second harmonic.

Reply to
Karl Uppiano

I had a similar problem that was solved by using Radio Shacks Audio System Ground Loop Isolator P/N 270-054.

Reply to
joe kapp