Windows XPe/Modem with PPP does not detect lost connection

Hello,

Maybe this is a bit of off-topic but it is certainly embedded related and I already tried to find some answers in the windows xp embedded newsgroups but did not get any help. We have a custom application board with a multiple of serial interfaces and an ETX motherboard( Congatec ETX mgx ). We have connected a GPRS Modem (Wavecom M2106B) to one of the serial ports and use it for Remote Access (RAS). Basically everything is working but when the client connection gets disrupted in an abnormal way (E.g. by simply pulling of the connector on one side) the XPe operating system does not detect the hangup of the connection. The problem with this is that this prevent any further connections. I tried the same setup on a normal PC with the same modem but different serial ports and there everything works correctly. This lead me to conclude that there might be something wrong with the serial drivers not notifying the application that the carrier has dropped. What do yo think about that? But what I am wondering is that I thought that a PPP connection sometimes send keep alive packets to see if the link is still there. Therefore there would be no need for additional signaling for the Modem and finally from the XPe driver. Maybe someone can give me some hints where to look any further because I am a bit out of luck.

Kind Regards, Christian Walter

Reply to
Christian Walter

Un bel giorno Christian Walter digitò:

Have you tried running TAP on your target to check which peripherals are detected? Then you can check if you are using the correct chipset drivers (northbridge, southbridge etc..).

In the past I've found a lot of little, nasty bugs with XPE and some PC104 boards. Often the less common boards (PC104, ETX, etc...) use chipsets/peripherals that are _slightly_ different from the chipsets/peripherals used in PCs and laptops motherboards.

--
emboliaschizoide.splinder.com
Reply to

Hello,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Finally I have found the problem and I have to blame the hardware designers. First of all a 3.3V level shifter was powerd with 5V and not all connection cables on the PCB where wired correctly. Therefore Win32 (And the RAS) did not get any DCD events and did not detect the loss of the carrier. Having fixed this issues it now works as expected. Still it is unclear why there is nothing like PPP keepalives where once in a while some packets are transmitted. This makes me believe that this is not a very reliable configuration.