WinCE 2.0 timebase (dispatcher?) question

Greetings,

I apologize for my ignorance regarding the architecture of Windows CE 2.0 but hope that my question has a short list of likely answers.

I have a WinCE 2.0 device (just acquired -- Philips VELO

500 HPC) which I would like to use as a portable data terminal and GPS display among other field data collection possibilities, which won't accept keystrokes or do screen draws without a power-cycle between each input or update. When cold booting, the device freezes with only the 'VELO' logo on screen (and won't power off) until unstuck by doing glissandos on the keyboard. Thereafter, the power switch will work, and after each power cycle, more of the boot and screen draws will occur until after perhaps several dozen power cycles a complete desktop will appear. At one point during this process, the startup 'song' will be properly played. The time-of-day clock keeps time but is only updated in the task bar after a power cycle. All functions work, for example text entry into a dialog box works but requires a power cycle for each character input.

What drives the I/O timing in this architecture (MIPS 4000, WinCE 2.0)? Should I be looking for a defective system timer or an external timebase problem or since the audio is working is this symptom perhaps unrelated to hardware issues (ROM corruption? -- yet isn't the ROM checksummed before booting?)

All speculation is much appreciated!

Michael

Reply to
msg