Semi-OT: PC won't start with USB-LPT plugged in

Folks,

This is weird: USB to parallel adapters seem to not be liked at all by Windows 7 PCs. I am now testing #4. #1 through #3 all failed because the Windows 7 won't recognized them. All of them also caused the Win 7 PC not to even turn on anymore with the adapter plugged in. Now I was sent a replacement for #3. This #4 adapter (finally!) prints to my trusty old HP5L even from a Win 7 PC but when I turn the PC off it will never turn on again unless I unplug the USB-Parallel adapter, turn on the computer, then plug it back into a USB jack.

Ok, I can make some sort of relay box for it that disconnects it and when I power up the PC lets that come back on with 20sec delay or so. But that's odd. None of them ever did that on several XP PCs and they always worked but not on this and another Win 7 PC.

Does anyone have an idea what could cause this?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Den onsdag den 2. marts 2016 kl. 23.30.52 UTC+1 skrev Joerg:

bios setup boot from USB ?

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

That's not it. I can leave any USB stick plugged in and it'll start fine. It won't even power up as if something on USB was shorted. Power indictaor lamp doesn't come on, fans don't come on, absolutely nothing happens.

On all XP PCs I've tried them with they worked fine.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Crappy adapter (poor switcher design) draws too much current as power is applied... and/or crappy PC supply design

Stop going cheap >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I have tried expensive ones and cheap ones. Always the same. Why does this only happen on computers with Windows 7 and not on any of the XP computer?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

That's how it is with later windows, MS can't or won't be bothered to make backwards compatible OS's.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Microsoft >:-}

My three printers are on the network... no direct connection to any PC.

You did say they'd work IF you delayed connection? Maybe try a simple current limit?

Ah, yes! You said parallel port... how quaint >:-} ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I _did_ have to toss my old hp scanner, but that turned beneficial... the new Brother MFC-J4620DW (networked) is just a delightful performer and it was dirt-cheap... $96.02 including sales tax. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

It's hard to see how the OS can be responsible when the PC won't even start.

Sounds more like a hardware issue on more recent motherboards, than anything really to do with Windows 7. At this point, I'd be installing XP on one of the failing Windows 7 PCs to positively determine whether it's the OS.

You might want to check the BIOS to see whether there are options that allow the USB port to remain powered when the PC is shut down (i.e., in standby mode). It could be that the USB device is drawing too much current in that mode.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Try adding a USB hub?

 Click to see the full signature

Looks like they blew something. Again.

Well, I am not one who throws stuff away just because it's old or because a manufacturer is inept.

Like this:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The worst so far was Windows 10. They could not even make the standard Intel HDMI set work properly. I insisted because it was in the ad. After the manufacturer threw the towel they got it all back for full refund (had to force them). I just don't put up with subpar designs anymore and luckily at my age I might be able to sit out Windows 10. Just like I did with Vista.

USB is all off once turned off. The BIOS is also turned away from USB boot.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I have a real drill press, just as old, maybe older, but all the bells and whistles, depth control, variable speed, 1/2" chuck. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

A quick surf says the printer should be powered _before_ the adapter is engaged. ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I might have to, then at least I'd have a USB power switch to turn it off or maybe roach a relay delay in there.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Good point! A _powered_ hub may solve your problem. I had a similar problem with a KVMP switch wa-a-a-ay back years ago, where I'd have to manually unplug/replug to get it to work. Powered hub solved the problem and allowed some extra gadgets ;-) ...Jim Thompson

 Click to see the full signature

I have an old Directjet that works great. A Ethernet print server. Not being used, up for grabs.

Martin Riddle

That's not a Windows 7 thing -- that's a computer hardware thing.

Dunno what's up, though.

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

If all else fails just get one of the network->parallel print server gadgets and turn the HP into a networked printer.

--
Chisolm
Republic of Texas

Yes, manufacturers must really hate it when it turns out they'd failed to include enough weasel words, and actually have to deliver what they'd said.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else