Component suggestion...

Hi,

I'm trying to build a handheld gaming device using a PIC16F887 with an LCD screen.

Although the PIC will run at lower voltages the LCD requires 5V.

I want to power the device with a maximum of 4AAA batteries which will provice a voltage of between 4.8V and 6V. I am quite happy to reduce the number of batteries...

I'm looking for a voltage regulator that will provide me with a constant output voltage of 5V with an input voltage ranging from 4.8V to 6V (possibly lower depending on the regulator).

The greatest current draw will be the LCD backlight which draws

200mA.

Unfortunately I am unable to solder surface mount components so I really require something with a DIP package or similar.

Can anyone suggest a solution??

Any help you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

gareth

Reply to
gareth
Brendan Gillatt

Hi Brendan,

It was quite cheap actually - it's surplus stock on only cost me =A35 ($10 at the current exchange rate).

I've tried using phone LCD's but I can't solder to the tiny connectors

- I've killed two so far and got rather put off!! Couldn't find what you meant at Sparkfun - I'm in the uk anyway so postage would be prohibitive.

I've looked at their sites but can't seem to find DIP versions. Maxim do one that they're sending me a sample of (MAX619) but it's low current output (just 50mA) and has limited Vin (2 - 3.6) which is difficult with Ni-Mh batteries that tend to charge to somewhree between 1.2 and 1.4 volts...

Thanks for the reply though

gareth

Reply to
gareth
Reply to
Brendan Gillatt

Ebay of course!! It's only monochrome and the backlight's a bit dodgy but for testing and prototyping it does the job...

Being really dumb - what's a breakout board and where can I get one??

Reply to
gareth