which is correct?

I have 2 Jan Axelson books: "Serial Port Complete" "USB Complete" 2ed

In Table 1-1, 1 books said GPIB/Paralell Port maximum speed (bits/sec) is 1 M, another book said GPIB/Paralell maximum speed (bits/sec) is 8 M.

Does anyone tell me which is correct?

Reply to
yong

Are you sure both are bits/sec? Is one in bytes/sec instead? It is an unfortunate accident that both bit and byte start with a "b". One convention uses a capital "B" stands for Bytes and a lower case "b" stands for bits. But not everyone uses that convention.

Reply to
Ralph Malph

parallel port can be up to 1.5MBytes per second, no more (using EPP or ECP mode).

Laurent Gauch

Amontec Team, Laurent Gauch

Erm... If you really do mean GPIB [1], this is IEEE-488, aka HPIB [2]. It's a parallel bus mostly used for hooking instrumentation together. It has nothing to do with the PC's parallel port.

Max bus speed was 300kbytes/sec, IIRC, but there are hardware implementations that take this up to around 1Mbyte/sec (or so I understand - haven't used 'em).

[1] General-Purpose Interface Bus [2] Hewlett-Packard Interface Bus

HTH,

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

Are there any HPIB to USB type thingings? Or serial type things? What about a PCI one? I have an old HPIB Digital Scope (54201D) that I'd like to connect to.

Reply to
BSF

Original bus speed was 300 kby/sec, but was pushed to 1 meg/sec in later versions of IEEE spec. National Instruments has a proprietary 8 megabyte/sec implementation that isn't in wide use. Most of the hardware available today is of the 1 megabyte/sec variety. Agilent has a somewhat pricey usb to hpib converter, there's probably others. PCI to HPIB cards are still readily available in the test and measurement world. I use one with a very similar scope.

Dave Kinsell delete the "yz" from address for email

Reply to
David Kinsell