Can I run web server on DHCP client to control onboard relays from anywhere within subnet

I have board with one Ethernet port, that port gets IP addr from local router, I need to control some relays on that board using web interface, can I run web server on DHCP client?. so that I can access that web page of that board and control relays from anywhere within that subnet?.

Thanks.

Reply to
VT

Yes, you can, but ...

The problem is to know which address is allocated by the DHCP server. The problem vanishes if you can force the router to give always the same IP address to your box (and its MAC address).

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Thanks Tauno, appreciated.

I have small board with ethernet port, by default it comesup with

192.168.168.168 IP addr, if I sell this port some customer, they have 192.168.0.1 subnet, they want to control some LED on this board using web interface (web server running on thos board) by putting this board on their network by assigning static IP addr using board web interface.

If I sell to some customer they have 192.168.0.1 subnet, they will connect their PC directly to baord and goto webpage of baord by http://192.168.168.168, then they will enter static IP addr like

192.168.0.99 to the board and then they will pulg this baord on their subnet, now they should access this board from anywhere from their network by typing 192.168.0.99 and they will goto different page to control LEDs ON and OFF, will it work?.

thanks.

Reply to
VT

Using different IP addresses is not the way to go.

A web server usually accepts calls to separate programs activated by a page request, like

or

http://192.168.0.99/cgi-bin/theapp?some-parameters

If the board runs Linux, have a look at the boa webserver and its instructions for GCI (Common Gateway Interface) binaries. There is a similar mechanism in Apache, but as there is also everyting else in Apache, it is much more difficult to separate the CGI information from the other things.

If the board runs something else, code a corresponding piece of code.

If you select a suitable way of handling the parameters, you can fill the request from a suitable HTTP form.

--
Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi