best way to set IP on web server MCU based device

OK. i think that subject covers most of my question :-)

My PCB is running on atmel and one small web server. I use this on board web server to connect MCU device to web and of course to easily send /receive data.

The device must be all the time online (on web) so now i have to find, or better define way how the set IP of this MCU device.

What would you do in my situation ? Dynamic IP ?

Reply to
Igor

Atmel what ??

What board ??

What device ??

Give enough information to receive a real answer.

Reply to
hamilton

atmel what? what net interface?

can you do zeroconf?

--
?? 100% natural

Jasen Betts

I've used two approaches:

  1. Device connects to a server at fixed address/name and the clients also connect the server to fetch data. The server can also store or perform other operations on the data.
  2. DHCP to set the IP configuration and DynDNS (or other similar) service.

I strongly prefer the server method as incoming traffic is limited in many places by NAT or firewall.

--
Mikko OH2HVJ
Reply to

Hey Mikko,

It is a shame that the internet has turned into this... Soon everything will have to communicate via facebook posts.

(But I agree it is probably the best way now)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Don't forget IPV6 and the IPV4 translators some ISP use. It breaks VPN connections. More reason to use a second server.

Martin Riddle