whats the diff b\w various arm-xx-gcc versions? (newbie)

Hi,

Ive been using ADS till now, but since 45 day trial is gonna end in a few days, i have decided to switch to the GNU toolchain..and im painfully new to it.

While searching for the particular toolchain to download, i came accross many versions..on gnuarm.com i found arm-elf-gcc etc, on codesourcery.com i found arm-none-eabi-gcc etc, and on the AT91-CDROM i found arm-linux-gcc etc. Exactly what is the difference between all these versions of gcc?? how do i decide which one to use?? (i am using a custom board based on the ARM920t (AT91rm9200), i also have to port a simple OS like uC/OS to the board.).

Also, will i be able to use code made on one of the above toolchains with the other? Like, for example, i downloaded the u-boot sourcecode. The makefile had arm-linux-gcc as the cross-compiler. I tried using arm-elf-gcc from gnuarm.com, i changed the appropriate variable in the makefile, but the compiler complained that a particular option in the makefile "-mshort-load-bytes" was invalid. I removed this option, but then the linker complained "no space to store headers, use -N" which i did, and the binary was created. Thats all nice and dandy, but whats going on???

Thanx in anticipation Mayank

Reply to
Mayank Kaushik

The middle "word" tells you the object file format generated and/or the target OS.

I'd recommend using arm-elf-gcc. The arm-linux-gcc version assumes you're going to be running Linux on your target hardware. I'm not sure what none-eabi is.

You can usually compile source code under any version, but there are some options that may not be supported.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Actually, what
                                  at               I'd like is a little toy